10/3/07

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles



I've always enjoyed flying. So naturally, I was looking forward to a quick weekend trip out to Denver to see our family. No big deal.. short flight...piece of cake. Wait- did I mention I was flying with Drew and Isaac? Kids have a way of turning "no big deal" things (like Wal-Mart trips) into exhausting but hilarious adventures. And this quick flight was no exception.

Our departure was scheduled for Friday evening. Drew was bouncing off the walls he was so excited about seeing people and riding on the airplane. First off- our flight was delayed so we waited around in the terminal an extra hour. Once on board, Drew was fascinated with the layout of the plane. He figured out that the aisle in the center was where the action is, so he began to direct traffic in order to keep things going. "Walk! Walk! Keep moving!" he calls. This amused him for a few minutes while I settled in with Isaac.
Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the stewardess stop in the aisle to get something out of the overhead bin. Drew, who was diligently trying to keep traffic moving, casually slapped her on the rear and called, "Keep moving!" She turned quickly, saw the smile on his face and the horror on mine, and laughingly walked away. It was then I decided that two-year olds do not belong in the aisle seat.

Drew willingly changed seats as it gave him the opportunity to chat with the guy sitting by the window. He turned out to be a father of three boys and very willing to chat with a two year old for the duration of the flight. He even was able to understand most of what Drew said, which can be a bit of a challenge. They talked for awhile and again I wasn't really paying attention. Drew then requested that he turn over those boring looking papers (looked like sales graphs or charts) and draw a picture. The man obliged, but eventually gave me the "Could you entertain your own kid for a minute" look? So Drew looked at some books for awhile.

The rest of the flight was fairly uneventful. We had some turbulence, enjoyed the complimentary beverages, and then prepared to land.

"Are you flying on to Hawaii tonight?" the window man asked me. I must have looked as confused as I felt, because he explained, "Your son told me that you are going to Hawaii."

Drew looked up with that sparkle in his eye. Its that sparkle that keeps me laughing, smiling and sometimes apologizing (my sincere regrets go out to that stewardess if by some twist of fate she should read this).


No comments: