8/15/08

here I raise my ebenezer

I've always loved that line from the classic hymn, Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing. It seemed a fitting way to start this trail of thoughts.

August is a month of memories and anniversaries for us. Last Thursday we passed the 8 year mark of when we started dating. Tomorrow will be four years since our first teenager moved into this home. This Wednesday my darling husband will be 29, the last of the twenty-somethings. And the following day will be two years since the due date of the baby that we lost in February of '06.

In light of so many events, I struggle with how to adequately commemorate them. I don't necessarily feel like each one merits a cake or a party, but in different ways, all of those events are significant because of the part they played in the story of our family. And as I watch Drew grow and begin to ponder his own niche in our family, I wrestle with how to help him understand and recognize the things that happened before him. I don't care if he knows all the details or dates, I just want him to grow up with a firm understanding that in all seasons of life, God has been good to us. Not just "good" in a vague, God-is-good-to-everyone-kind of way, but a "Wow, God healed my mom" or "God worked miracles in our home" kind of way.

So how do we raise Ebenezers in every day life in order to commemorate God's faithfulness? I'm not exactly sure, but I'm attempting it in different ways. One of those ways came to me in February as we passed another year since miscarrying a baby that was 13 weeks along. As I thought of that time, reflected on that incredibly difficult and frightening event in our lives, I was suddenly aware of how wholly God had healed us since then. And then I was saddened by how little I think of His work, how seldom I remember that devastation that seemed to paralyze my very soul, and how good it was to know God in that time.

So I made a decision to think about that time more often. And then I got a tattoo to remind me of the little one we lost.

"Then Samuel took a stone and set it up between Mizpah and Shen. He named it Ebenezer, saying, “Thus far has the Lord helped us.” 1 Samuel 7:12

1 comment:

Lucy said...

This made me smile, Becky, and made me remember our conversation about our little ones up in heaven playing together. What a magnificent thought! Thanks.
Nicole