8/10/08

more time than words

I'm in a funny predicament where I actually have time to write but nothing to say. It doesn't happen very often...either of those situations, so I'm not sure what to do.

It's Sunday afternoon and the males of our house are all working or napping (three at work and five snoozing). Sometimes it's hard to believe that I live in a house with nine guys- funny, huh? It doesn't seem like that many people to me but I guess it is.

This weekend has marked the opening days of the Olympics, one of my favorite events. I am truly an Olympics junkie. If I did not have kids and a husband, every four years I would take ten days off of work, stock up on Dr. pepper and popcorn, and plant myself in front of the television for 10 days straight. Seriously- I can watch anything on the Olympics-- gymnastics, fencing, swimming, volleyball, whatever! Right now water polo is on and I'm keeping an eye on the score. I especially like the little human interest moments that feature certain Olympic athletes. I'm hooked. So that's what I'll be doing for the next 8 days.

Other than that, the most exciting thing in my week is that we got a new dining room table. A friend called up and wanted to know if we could use a table that is 8 feet long- and can we ever! It is perfect for us, with rounded edges that allows for people to sit right on the corner. Seeing as we average 8-10 at dinner each night, it's a blessing to have a table that comfortably seats 10, and easily expands to 12 or 13. Gosh...the timing was so perfect, you'd almost think there was this omnipotent force looking out for us, delighting in providing all that we need. Oh wait...there is!

I finished book 4 of the Twilight series (for my post on the first three books, click here and scroll to second post). It's been a week since I burned the midnight oil to knock it out, but I'm still unsure of how I feel about it. Something about the way it wrapped up left me...disinterested. I don't know what it is, but it was significantly different than how I felt at the end of other series. At the end of the Lord of the Rings, I literally wept for relief that it had ended well and sorrow that it was actually over. At the end of Les Mis, I remember clutching the book to my heart and heaving a huge sigh, feeling like I had just taken part in something significant. At the end of Breaking Dawn (book 4 of Stephenie Meyer's Twilight series) I just kind of yawned, nodded my head, and went to sleep. It felt very anticlimactic for me--still not sure why.

Well, before I type the afternoon away, I think I will go chat with the laundry or at least hang with the dishes a bit. They are my constant companions and, as friends go, are very high maintenance. Hope you are enjoying the games!!!!

No comments: