1/15/09

sleep solutions

I-man on his car


There's a new clarity to me thoughts these past two days. I feel like I can make quick decisions, handle my emotions, and even work hard through the morning without crashing at 2:00. The difference? Two, back-to-back, nights of 8 hours of sleep!!! Oh my goodness. I feel like I'm on some kind of miracle drug or something. It is wonderful.

During our date night, we were hanging at Borders and in my random pile of readings for the evening, I grabbed a book that guaranteed to solve my baby's sleep problems. As I was skimming, I came to a chapter that specifically dealt with sleep cycles and problems. The author had a few suggestions for shifting a child's sleep so we went for it. (One interesing part of the book was a section on the two sleep tendencies- "owls" and "larks". Though the idea is basically that there are night people and morning people, it was fascinating to read that there are actually biological things involved in that differentiation. I-man and I are larks, Garrett and Drew bug are certainly owls!)

So after two nights, Isaac is snoozing soundly from 7:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m. (insert Hallelujah Chorus here)

This shift has created a few challenges in the day, like what to do with the boys for two hours after lunch since naps have been shifted until 2:00. But once it's nice out, this will be a wonderful time to go on walks, play outside, run errands, etc. So we just have to wait out the winter.

So that's the good news from our very cold but restful neck of the woods!



My happy helper

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yqhoo!!!! Isaac appears quite happy, too. What a cutie! Mom

Christy said...

SO happy for you...and I want to know the name & author of that book! :)

Derrick, Shelbie, and Kai said...

YEAH I-man and an even bigger YEAH for mom! 12 hours has been a long time coming it seems! Glad you got the sleep all worked out for everyone's sake. Does this mean 1 nap now? I may be calling for advice on that one soon!

Mike and Lisa said...

I would also like to know the name and author of that book! We aren't having any sleep issues, yet, but it definitely sounds like a book worth keeping on hand! =)