9/26/09

in search of a sabbath

It's a beautiful Saturday afternoon around here. The air is crisp and cool. The house is still, with just the sound of the baby monitor humming in the background. The kiddos are all sleeping. And so it seems a good time to pull some thoughts together and write a little here.

There have been a lot of interesting surprises with our new life. (For those of you who aren't up on our current situation, we left the boys' home on July 1, moved on July 5, and have been living with friends since. The housing situation is frustrating; not the basement life, that isn't so bad, but we still have not closed on our house. And so we wait...) We were anticipating more time with Garrett, but his new position as director of homes has kept him busy night and day lately. I was looking forward to a slower pace of life, but there's nothing slow about three kids under 4. I was excited about finally having weekends, but with Garrett's job and three kids, weekends kind of feel like weekdays.

So a few Sundays ago I began to ponder the question- how do I honor the Sabbath? I mean seriously, even on Sundays there are meals and diapers and messes and little people that need immediate attention. Yet I feel like the idea of the Sabbath is growing in my heart and mind in a way that I can't just ignore it anymore. I need to address it.

It's kind of funny how our culture has evolved. God says to work six days and rest; and yet we work five days and don't rest. Sheesh.

Here's where I'm at with it. I've decided to try to work harder on Saturdays so that I can rest on Sundays. I want my home to genuinely feel the restfulness of the Sabbath. I want there to be a different pace to our day that allows for reflection and silence and thoughtful, quiet times. I'm not exactly sure what that looks like with little people, but I know that the patterns we set now will at least point us in the right direction.

So for me, Sundays means no cleaning, sorting, laundry, projects, etc. I'll still cook some simple meals and help the kids, but hopefully make extra time for reading, prayer, and reflection. But more than my habits, I want to actually let my heart rest in the Lord. I think that is really the point.

How about you? How do you honor the Sabbath?

2 comments:

Stacey said...

Growing up, Sunday was always a day of rest, without question. Naps were mandatory on Sundays, which was very hard for me as a little girl who didn't sleep enough to take a nap! But quiet time was also expected after your nap was over. As an adult, now, I try to keep the same routine. I don't necessarily nap (still), but I don't clean or do laundry. I fix one meal for the day, and the rest is "serve-selfs". It helps to have that one afternoon of rest and peace, but also time to be quiet and reflect. Sundays are my favorite day of the week!

Jenni said...

Good post! Leaves me with good things to think about. Thanks.