7/23/10

friday quick 5

1. If I Ran the Zoo- In a moment of spontaneity (something that declines with the growing number of kids) we packed up and headed to the zoo yesterday morning.  As we got close, we saw lots of police cars and news vans and people standing around gawking.  If I were a news-watcher, or a paper-reader, I might have seen the headline "Two Bodies Found Outside Zoo". Oh...but we made the best of it.
2. Tomato Madness- We planted two little tomato plants by our house.  Following the detailed instructions of Grandpa Ed, we planted them in Miracle Gro soil and have been feeding them with Miracle Gro Tomato Food each week.  And the results are... miraculous.
It's only two plants, I promise. Sheesh.


3. Popcorn Hour 2.0- In college we had a lovely little tradition of eating large amounts of popcorn every Thursday (?) evening at 10. Such a nice little get together to look forward to each week.  I must confess I have always been a great popcorn connoisseur as we actually ate popcorn for dinner on Sunday nights (stovetop, none of this microwave business, mind you).  My children are such popcorn fans and it makes me happy.  How I happened to marry a man who cares for it not is beyond me.
Ella can be a bit sneaky


4. West side Story Sing-a-long- We got a fish.  This is a long story and will be the topic of a coming post (I'm sure you are just dying for the details of that action!) We named him Jet, because he is a Samurai Fighting Fish and who better than Jet Li to name him after. I like to sing to him, "When you're a jet, you're a jet all the way from your first cigarette to your last dying day." I think he appreciates musicals because he is such a happy little samurai fish.
Ella has added the word "fishy" to her vocabulary.  She loves that little guy.

5. Hood- I finished reading Hood by Stephen Lawhead and am starting Scarlett (the last in the series is Tuck.) So good. You should read them...really. Garrett really enjoyed them. I'm trying to read new things. Our book club reading for the month was a sci-fi fantasy called Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.  I find that reading different kinds of books is kind of like meeting new people. I'm intrigued.  I feel broader, smarter, and bit more well-rounded.  I also started reading a rant book called Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingslover.  I'm trying to psyche myself up to keep reading it but sheesh, it's a lot of ranting and raving.  So we shall see.  Maybe once she actually plants the garden it will get better?

OK- that is all for now.  Play date expected at any minute. Happy Friday.

4 comments:

Stacey said...

LOVE it! I love your Friday Quick 5's. I must say, I couldn't make it through "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" and I tried so hard! Maybe I'll try again some day, as I'm aligning more and more with that way of thinking. However, I'm intrigued with Hood. I'll have to see if I can find it at the library, as I'm always looking for new, good things to read.

Lucy said...

It doesn't get better once she plants the garden... sorry.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I had to do a double take of the boys picture at the zoo. With Isaac being in the foreground, he looks equal in size to Drew! Oh Ella, caught with your hand in Isaac's popcorn! She believes in sharing!! Mom

Anonymous said...

When you're a Jet,
You're the swingin'est thing:
Little boy, you're a man;
Little man, you're a king!
- yeah, I get Westside Story, because I Feel Pretty!!! A fellow fish-owning mother on 11th.