8/21/10

quick 5 is alive

Yesterday was Garrett's birthday, and with the party prep and activities the quick 5 was pushed to the back burner. (Which is really OK...I don't think bloggers should feel guilty for being too busy living life to blog about it!) And now, with the party done, kids home, and house quiet, thought I'd send out a quick 5. 


1. Shock and Awe-  When Garrett first declared his intentions to get to know me, date me, and love me forever- I was totally shocked.  When he first said "I love you"- I was completely shocked.  And when he asked me to marry him- I was genuinely shocked.  He certainly has the element of surprise on his side (and maybe I'm not as perceptive as I think!)


2. Bookshelf update-I finished reading the King Raven trilogy by Stephen Lawhead. Excellent books.  With Garrett gone last weekend I read the first of the Harry Potter series.  Pretty good read- though I didn't find it extremely gripping, but I think the series intensifies as it goes. Shopping for Time is falling out of favor as I tire of the middle class language and Western Christian mindset of doing things for Jesus.  Read a book called The Way of the Heart by Henri Nouwen, and am hoping to read it again soon to soak it in a little more. But the book that is stirring my soul is  Terrify No More by Gary Haugen. Haugen is the founder of IJM, an organization of law professionals that work to break up human trafficking and child prostitution.  It's stirring things in me that have been long quiet, and it feels good but uncomfortable.  Certainly more on that to come. 


3. Ella is becoming quite opinionated, having specific ideas about her wardrobe, accessories, meal choices, desired room to play in, etc.  When I am on the phone she follows me around yelling, "I talk! I talk!" She also loves to carry my purse. She's 1 going on 13, I fear. Sheesh.


4. Anxious for autumn- I don't know about you but I am ready for fall. Bring on the pumpkin candles and changing leaves and cool mornings and crisp fall afternoons. And apple cider. And pumpkin spice latte. 


5. Don't read if you want to feel comfortable- One thing that has struck me from Terrify No More is the Christian's ability and obligation to engage evil. Haugen quotes Edmund Burke, an Irish philosopher of the 1700's, with the profound words, "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." I believe it is near the heart of God for us to defend the widow, the oppressed, the orphaned, and any others who cannot defend themselves.  But I guess I never really thought about that in order to do this we have to be willing to actively engage evil. I'm not exactly sure what that means for me, mom of three, housewife extraordinaire.  But I have a strong feeling- no, a growing conviction- that God desires more for me than feeding my kids and managing my house.  I don't think that He meant me to have so many possessions that it takes all my energy to manage it all.  What does that mean? I don't know.  But I am willing to chase it and ask Him and change. I don't mean to say that being a homemaker cannot be a holy service, I believe that with all my heart.  I just don't buy that in this "season" I am exempt from helping the poor, defending the orphan, or whatever it is that is near the heart of God and within my grasp. I am constantly amazed at how much more I can do when I am pressed- how much I can clean my house if I need to, how little sleep I can get and still be pleasant if needed, how much I can engage my children when I am really mindful.  So what if we changed our mindset; I am not saying to set the bar higher, as if we can just try harder and add "feed orphans" to our to-do list.  I'm talking about tossing the bar out all together, recognizing that the bar is behind us and achieved because of Christ, and throwing out our whole idea of what a super-mom is. I'm tired of it, because it's exhausting and somewhat worldly and often just for the gratification of our unconverted egos (a Nouwen saying) But what if we toss the perfect house and all the decor and fashion and doing and simply seek to live more in harmony with the priorities of God, valuing life and truth and justice. Sounding a little on the radical side, I know, but I think that the gospel, when lived out fully, should seem more than a bit radical- wouldn't you say?




Thanks to those of you who voiced concern and prayers for Drew's throat injury last week.  He is doing great, says it's just a little sore when he swallows. So he is healing up just fine. 


Thanks for reading this blog. A friend of mine made the comment that this blog seems to be therapeutic for me, and I thought that was an interesting way to put it. There is a fine line between wanting to share your thoughts and wanting to feel like a superstar on your own little corner of the web, and I confess I waiver between the two.  But I hope with all my heart that you will read this and love Jesus more dearly. 


There is life abundant to be lived. Let us not spend our days digging wells as my husband puts it, seeking to find our own sources of life.  May we overflow with living water and be a fountain of Life to this thirsty and evil world. 

2 comments:

Tawnya said...

Yes, yes, and yes. Thank you for your words on seeking and finding what God has for us each even in this season of mom duties up to our elbows. I too have been asking the Lord to open my eyes to the people around me...in my neighborhood...around the corner..the people I bump into...and to be open to what God might have. There is is a balance to be sure, since our children are just as much a mission field as the neighbor, but it cannot be a copout either to do nothing and keep our eyes closed. Thanks Becky for your continued candidness.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't worry too much about Ella-- I remember a first grade girl who used to coordinate her clothes for school with her best friend to make sure they were matching. She turned out great.


Dad