8/5/10

while He may be found

I'm reading the book Shopping for Time by Carolyn Mahaney and company. It's hard but good.  Found this quote from C.S. Lewis' Mere Christianity to be so true-

"It comes the very moment you wake up each morning.  All your wishes and hopes for the day rush at you like wild animals.  And the first job each morning consists simply in shoving them all back, listening to that other voice, taking that other point of view, letting that other, larger, stronger, quieter life come flowing in." -
Isn't that true?  It does feel like the demands of the day come hurtling at you before you can even start the coffee or get a diaper changed.  But if you can find the strength (or the will...or get enough caffeine in you to think clearly) to push it all back and find perspective and grace for the day- oh, what a difference!


I've never really been a morning person but am coming to believe that isn't really an option any more.  Which poses several questions: 1) how much coffee is too much coffee? 2) why is it that the earlier I wake, the earlier my children wake? 3) why did I not do this sooner???



God is so patient and long-suffering.   He is so good to us, does He not desire and deserve our undivided attention for a time?  I know that is easy to think that you have no undivided attention with little people about (I have thought this for years).  But there is a scary reality that if you leave any relationship to wander for awhile, you may find it harder and harder to go back.  And in these years of shepherding little ones, I am in such dire need of daily grace and perspective. For how can I help my children to love Jesus with all their hearts if I have adapted a "I simply don't have time to seek you" attitude? No- they must learn that there is always time, must be time, for we are but dust without Him.


Maybe you think of rising early and say, "Easier said than done." But that is what I would say of the challenge of abiding in Christ without communing with Him- easier said than done.



I meant this to be encouraging but it is taking a strong tone, isn't it?  Oh friend, seek Him while He may be found, and know that He is seeking you.

No comments: