9/10/10

quick 5

Can it be Friday again already?  Where do the weeks go?

1. Our dear friends (who I made a plea to visit on a quick 5 several months ago) are coming tomorrow. We are excited.  We are cleaning.  I am in awe of the effectiveness of the quick 5 to bring about desired visitors.  Once the house settles down from our crazy September, I will figure out who to invite next.

2.

We found this fun book at the library and used it for an art project last week.  The book is a series of poems about animals, each accompanied with a picture of the animal made of shapes.  Upon first read I thought it a little boring, but then once we started to really look at the pictures the kids enjoyed it.

3. We've turned into library junkies.  You know you are  library junkies when the librarian says, "I'm sorry, you have your maximum of 40 items checked out on this card" and so you immediately hand her a different card.  Oh, yes, there are three cards in our house, which means our borrowing potential is sitting at a comfortable 120 items.  The idea of actually having that many items in my house is unnerving, but then a few years back I would have been freaked out by the idea of having 48 items in our house! And now, that seems quite normal.  It's a funny phase in our life of library time; we arrive, I do a library scan and grab which is disturbingly similar to Supermarket Sweep, and then we leave. Actual time in the library is under 20 minutes.   The boys follow in a loose orbit while tossing books in the stroller,  Ella cycles from quiet to singing to pouting from being shooshed. I know that some day these will be the good 'ol days, and I am starting to believe that more and more.

(On a side note, the only rule for library time is they can pick one movie each.)

Now that we are homeschooling, I go crazy online to request books I want.  That way when I arrive I don't have to scan the shelves and look for them- they are already collected for me.  Lazy, you say?  I think the librarians and I understand each other.

4. I love the quote from You've Got Mail where Meg Ryan says that books you read as a kid become a part of you like no other literature in your whole life.  I think that is true. I've found some wonderful kids books lately which I will try to share soon.  One of Isaac's new favorites is "Not All Princesses Wear Pink" by Jane Yolen, a book about princesses who play soccer, use power tools, fight dragons...all while wearing a sparkly crown.  I have no idea why he likes it so much!

5. I was reading a friend's blog yesterday (which I had been checking constantly to look for news of her baby boy- welcome Silas!) Her birth announcement was short and sweet, and almost made the whole delivery seem like an every day thing.  Not that they weren't excited, but that with baby #4 you just don't need to write about everything, and the baby itself is new but the whole experience is not.  I've said before that on the highway of life, your first baby is a detour and your third is a speed bump (that you may or may not slow down for!)  But what does that make your second baby- maybe slowing for a construction zone?  I dunno...the metaphor is breaking down on me.
Our dear friends' dear baby Kai- if he isn't the cutest thing I've ever seen in a stocking cap...
Kids packed in car for camping
Waking up day 1

Boys exploring with Math-U-See (very rockin' math curriculum which I will dish about some other time)
Me and my leading lady...the good 'ol days indeed

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I lead a small life - well, valuable, but small - and sometimes I wonder, do I do it because I like it, or because I haven't been brave? So much of what I see reminds me of something I read in a book, when shouldn't it be the other way around? I don't really want an answer. I just want to send this cosmic question out into the void. So good night, dear void.

Anonymous said...

I am so excited for your visitors this weekend, and I do not even know them. But I loved the way Lucy would comment on the blog!! Have a wonderful time re-connecting your families!!! Mom

The Kimbles said...

I too love requesting books from the library online. It makes me feel like I'm shopping and getting stuff for free at the same time. :)