12/30/10

quick 5

The holiday week is coming to a close as the New Year sneaks up.  We have partied hard these last few days, and my house is feeling the brunt of it.  But Christmas together was very sweet, the kiddos very excited, and the idea of being back to our everyday humdrum is very appealing. I have several blog posts brewing, but I confess I am getting blog-shy because the big 3-0-0 is coming fast (and whose dumb idea was it to hype that whole thing? Oh yeah...yours truly).  So without further ado...

1. My niece Fiona was here for Christmas and what a dear.  Four months is such a great baby age- smiling, still sleeping lots, but not mobile.  My kids were enthralled with her, and Isaac is still asking where she is. (Isaac calls her "Ona". Ella calls her "Fi-fi". So cute.)The video I posted which did not work on my blog is working on Fiona's blog, so if you want to see her giggle adorably, please click here. In honor of Fiona, we have modified this song (to the tune of "My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean") which Ella sings very enthusiastically:

My Ona lives north of Chicago
My Ona lives down I-80
My Ona lives north of Chicago
Oh bring back Fiona to me.

Bring back... etc.

2. My husband is gone on a road trip and it's funny how our house shifts into a different routine. I go to bed earlier yet somehow stay up later.  I wake earlier cause there's no one to swat Tuck away from waking me. I don't cook meat. (I actually just realized that reality but it is true.  Less meat, more soup, when the man is away.) At every meal, Ella won't hold the boys' hands to pray but instead must have an explanation about where dad is. Bedtime for the boys is much more like Whack-a-mole, as they sense that the firm hand of dad is absent. The litterbox stinks. Please come home, hon.

3. For Book club this month we are reading The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis. I have never read this and am looking forward to it.  Anybody read it?  Any recommendations for something that we really must read this year?

4.  Speaking of reading, here's a rundown of the things I read last year. For book club we read: Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortensen, The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold, Narrative of an American Slave by Frederick Douglas, My Antonia by Willa Cather, The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley, Ender's Game by Orson Scott card, The Giver by Lois Lowry, To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, The Old Man and the Sea by Hemingway, Same Kind of Different as Me by Ron Hall and Denver Moore, and A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. If I had to pick a favorite...I couldn't. But I would say that a new favorite is Bradley's mystery, a classic that I rediscovered in new ways due to a new season in my life is Cather's Antonia, and Harper Lee is a genius.

I also discovered the Lawhead books this year. I've decided that for my 300th post everyone who reads this will read and gush about the King Raven Trilogy- Hood, Tuck, and Scarlett. So let me know how that is coming for you. Seriously, Lawhead is the only contemporary Christian writer that I have ever read and thought, "Wow. What an amazing writer." Some authors have a good message, a nice story, fun characters, but Lawhead does all that- and he can write.

I mentioned Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman, a very fun and touching novel.

I just finished Housekeeping by Marilyn Robinson. (I'm not sure what I think about it yet. So sad but well written. Didn't end how I expected at all.) I know there are others but they are slipping away from me...Quentins by Maeve Binchy was one. (Do books that you re-read really count? Anne books, P&P, etc.)

5. On Christmas Eve eve, I was busy preparing for a Christmas party that evening at our house.  As I cleaned, cooked and strategically placated the children so that they did not undo things faster than I could do them, it occurred to me that this would be a good basis for a reality show.  I don't want to watch someone cook in their spotless kitchen, all the ingredients measured out in front of them, some assistant to continue whisking eggs while they wander out to the grill to check on the salmon.  No, siree.  Give me a kitchen that has seen some time.  A cook who has a few little ones who interrupt at key moments, need attention constantly, want to help. There should be shows where needed ingredients have run out, measuring spoons are in the sand box, and then as it's all timed out and in the oven, let the cook get a text that dinner needs to be 20 minutes later.  With more guests. That, my friends, is reality TV. I would watch that. Heck, I live that.  But it would not sell as a reality TV show because for some reason reality TV is an oxymoron. Enough of that.

Well, there's the not-so-quick 5.  I've been taking my time because we are watching the Husker game and it is painful.  So the longer I type, the less I have to watch and groan. It's bad.  The song of the night is "Heartless." (Oh Huskers- how could you be so heartless?)

I have some thoughts on New Years Resolutions which will be coming at you soon. I know, I resolved a few years back not to make those anymore.  But I think that there are some good things brewing.  I mean, what if instead of trying to be better I tried to be...wait, that's the point of that other post. You'll just have to check back for that little nugget.

To my friend in KS who is pregnant- congrats again and we are so thrilled for you.

To Fiona- please come back.  Tell your mother I will offer a trade, 3 for 1.  That's a steal.

To my dining room table, covered in Christmas gifts- just hold your horses, I'm getting to you.

That's all. Good night. Go Huskers. Sheesh. :0

3 comments:

Teresa said...

P&P always counts, and Harper Lee IS a genius.

... and I like the word 'placated'

Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

I have The Great Divorce if you would like to borrow it this month. Mom

rachel said...

I'll watch your reality show. I bet it will look shockingly like mine. =)