1/21/11

quick 5

Ah, Friday, here you are at last. And it's about time, because I have five things to say...

1. The crib question continues with Ella as she pops out noiselessly at her every whim.  Yesterday she kept coming downstairs during her book time (time when she usually reads books in her crib.) During naps I found her in the bathroom trying to brush her teeth.  And at 5:45 this morning, I hear a little voice calling, "Hi, Bubbas!" It was Ella waking her boys. Sheesh.  It has made me realize how much comfort I put in that crib. During her waking hours she is into so much mischief that there is a small sigh of relief to put her in her crib and be done tracking her for awhile. It has also made me realize that she has not learned to stay places, not like her brothers had by this age.  So I don't think that crib or toddler bed is the issue, but training her to obey and do what she should be doing. Sheesh again.

2. A few days ago, the boys had lined up their armies to face each other in a duel.  It's a bit frustrating for Drew; he is trying to be Isaac's enemy, but Isaac wants to be his carbon copy.  The battle cries went like this...

Drew: We are the good guys!
Isaac: We are the good guys!

(pause as Drew thinks)

Drew: WE are the good guys!!!
Isaac: WE are too!

(longer pause)

Drew: We are the ONLY good guys!

3. I bought new hand soaps for all the sinks. (I realize that this is not exactly newsworthy, but it's news to me).  In the upstairs bathroom there is a blueberry soap that smells too good, I have to remind myself not to squirt it in my mouth.  Seriously.  It smells that good. Maybe that's a pregnancy thing...?

4. My good friend recently read Les Miserables by Victor Hugo.  I was so excited for her to read it as it is my favorite novel and no one really reads it. I'm happy to report that she enjoyed it; there's always a little of that fear that something you recommend will not be liked. Have you ever wholeheartedly recommended a book, movie, play, donut, beverage, only to have a ho hum response from someone else? Does that feel like a form of personal rejection to you? Oh, right...me neither. There's something about books, maybe because I identify with them so much, that when I really love a book I feel like those I love should love it, too.

5. This month for book club we are reading A Severe Mercy by Sheldon VanAuken. Anybody read it? It is so moving; the first time I read it there was a point where I threw the book down, fell face first on to my bed, and just sobbed for five minutes. If that book can't make you tear up, check your pulse. (that's something my husband says ;) ) But once again, I haven't read it in almost ten years, and I'm feeling a little nervous that maybe we will all read it and everybody will turn to me and think, "What was all that hype about?" I'll keep you posted on that. (Want to read along with us? Please do and you can guest post here on a book review! Guest post? That's genius.  It's like a free friendly way to outsource. Any takers?)

Well, there is a lot of drama coming from room time so I best be heading. Have a great weekend. And here is a parting thought for your soul...

With all my heart I will praise you, O Lord my God. I will give glory to your name forever, for your love for me is very great. - Psalm 86:12-13

3 comments:

The Kimbles said...

Remember when all you girls came out to Colorado for spring break, and I took you all to my all-time fave restaurant, the Blue Parrot? I'm pretty sure I got a ho-hum response from all of you. Like I do from everyone I take there. So I know what you mean.

Mmm...I could eat some Blue Parrot spaghetti right now...

Stacey said...

I totally understand the recommendation feelings! I once recommended a movie I really liked, only to have the people I recommended it to (and watched it with) turn to me with highly disturbed faces. They hated it, and it was clear they questioned my taste. It was a little while before I recommended anything to them again.

Anonymous said...

Seriously Becky, if you get ho-hum responses in your book club for A Severe Mercy, then you need to get a new book club. That book is impossible to not have some type of reaction to. Oh, this makes me want to go dig out my copy and get lost in it...

-Kristy