2/2/11

A few of my favorite things: Mason Jars

I'm not sure why, but I have a growing obsession with finding new uses for old things. It's exciting. It's creative. It's free. Last Christmas I rummaged around the house and collected all my random jars that were performing various tasks.  I added tea lights and greenery and they became a Christmas center piece (no picture- just imagine it, OK?) As I packed up Christmas, I hated to see this lovely jar collection be packed away for the year, so I cleaned out the wax and stashed them in the kitchen.


A few days later, I got a hankering to clean out a kitchen cupboard in order to store all of our current homeschool supplies. The supplies were in the dining room, where I carried them by the armful each day (or just did without things that I didn't want to go get.) Cabinet cleaned out. Supplies moved. And a new use for the lovely jars.






They work great. The kids can see what's in them. I like the way they look. (On a side note, the jar on the far right is actually an old walmart candle that I just ran hot water on to get the bottom wax out. Worked like a charm and it's the perfect size/height for crayons.)


Lest you think I am the only person on the internet who is into mason jars, there are others out there who are getting way crafty with them.   Like this fall decor...


theinspiredroom.net

I'm inspired...and hungry for candy corn. 

And someday I will attempt this light fixture...


budgetwisehome.com
Love it. There you have it. A few of my favorite things. 


More to come-




2 comments:

Teresa said...

Wish I could upload pictures of all the stuff I have stuffed into jars ... spools of thread, brads, buttons, beads, & ribbons, all my baking supplies, pasta, pencils, pennies, markers and m&m's, teas, crackers, cotton balls, Q-tips, and soaps -- they hold everything.
Love 'em, love 'em, love 'em!

Way to go!

Stacey said...

You should also check out the Heavenly Homemakers! She LOVES her jars. She's got me on the kick, too.