4/30/11

rambling on a saturday night

It's Saturday night. 9:41. Garrett is gone for one more night and I am left to pass the night alone. It's funny how each time he gears up for a trip, I have this feeling like I am going to have more "me" time when he is away, just time to do what I want to do. It never fails that I forget that a) though he is going, the Three Amigos are staying and it is more work to care for them alone and b) what I really want to do, at the end of the day, is be with him. Sheesh.

Since I'm too tired to write anything of substance, I thought I'd just ramble a little.


About the house...

I finished the pre-clean for tomorrow. I've decided that I like cleaning; I just dislike pre-cleaning. Pre-cleaning is defined as the phase where you de-clutter, clear tables, sort toys, scrub strange gummy spots off the floor, and prepare in general for surfaces to be cleaned. Cleaning smells good and feels gratifiying; pre-cleaning leaves you mumbling "Where did we get all this junk?" and "What in the world is that?" (referring to gummy sticky stuff on floor)


About the kids...

A few days ago, I walked upstairs in search of 2 and 3 (ages 3 and 1- are you tracking?) who had disappeared. When I reached the top of the stairs, I heard Garrett's electric razor buzzing in the bathroom and Ella's happy chatter in the background. It would be so like Ella to shave her head, I thought quite calmly, picturing her smiling behind her birthday cake next week with half her head shaved off. I opened the bathroom door to find that Ella was not shaving her hair but gelling her hair. She had half of a container of pomade goop slathered into her bangs. Isaac was holding the electric razor and shaving his head. Thankfully he didn't have the angle quite right so all he managed to do was thin out a small section. I scolded, explained, and shooed them out. Those two are overcoming their "we can't play together without screaming" phase...and I am beginning to wonder if this is a good development or not.


About the cats...

The day before Easter I was doing laundry as usual. (You know that old saying- Only two things are certain in life: death and taxes. I'd like to add laundry to that.) The cats were hanging in the laundry room, snoozing on top of the dryer. As I emptied the dryer, Tutu jumped in in attempts to nap in the warmth. I scooped him out, switched over a load, started the dryer, and then loaded the washer. I was about to start it when I glanced up at Tuck and he meowed at me. Something about it was just odd. I glanced around to find Tutu, and couldn't find him. After further investigation, I found him buried under all the clothes in the washer. This was a strange event on several counts: 1- I think Tuck saved Tutu's life. 2- I could have drowned my cat in the wash. 3- It made me wonder if my new washing machine would have smelled like dead cat. 4- and if my kids would forgive me for drowning the cat  5- and if there is some truth to the idea of cats having 9 lives.

About apple pie...

Have I ever told you how much I like apple pie? I know I haven't, because it's like I forget how much I like it as soon as I'm no longer eating it. But thanks to a little neighborhood shindig at our place, we had half an apple pie hanging around. And then I remembered that cold apple pie is truly my favorite breakfast food. So good.


About a random book that sounds comforting yet disturbing...

I read a review of the book "Selfish Reasons to Have More Kids: Why Being a Great Parent is Less Work and More Fun Than You Think" by Bryan Caplan. He is actually an economist by trade, but writes the book partially addressing the myth that people don't have kids because it's expensive (less true than we think) but actually because of the pressure they feel in raising them.  Essentially- we've made parenting too complicated. The main premise of the book is that we should just relax and stop micromanaging because research shows that our daily interactions with our kids affect them very little; it's genetically predetermined that they will probably just turn out like us. Apparently the research is pretty convincing, but I'm not sure that it is comforting. Anyways, he says just relax, enjoy your kids, do things you love to do and you will enjoy them even more, and have lots of them so you can enjoy them in your old age. Again- I haven't read it, so this is basically a summary of other people's summaries, but the idea is intriguing and confusing all at once.


About the royal wedding...

I didn't watch it. I just thought it seemed hip to comment on it. The whole event sure seems like a really big deal for a monarchy that has no ruling power, but that probably isn't a popular opinion. I did see a picture and thought the bride looked lovely. That's all I got on that. So say we all.

In closing...5 Signs your Laptop may be on its Deathbed

1. The bottom half of your desktop background no longer works.
2. You sweep the kitchen floor and find your shift key in the dustpile.
3. You can no longer expand video clips to watch them full screen. Or I guess you can- if you prefer them without sound.
4. It's been over a year since you lost Z on the keyboard.
5. It makes a chugging sound when you open too many windows.

'Tis true. I think I'd better double check my back-up server and start shopping around.

OK, it's past ten and I'm off to bed. Have a good Sabbath. =)

6 comments:

Teresa said...

2. You sweep the kitchen floor and find your shift key in the dustpile.

--That was just too funny.

About my hobbies ...
I don't really have any right now except reading and commenting on your blog.

So thanks for giving me something fun to do. Ramblings are a good thing, as Martha would say.

Becky said...

Teresa-

I feel like your hobby and my hobby makes our relationship a bit symbiotic, wouldn't you say?

Who's Martha?

Victoria said...

Two things:

1. I love your cats.

2. We would like some serious details on grilling pizza. We just might be brave enough to try it.

Christy said...

I wish we lived closer. I love pre-cleaning but despise the actual cleaning process. We could work out a great deal!!

Teresa said...

Dear Becky,

http://www.marthastewart.com/good-things-home

It's a Good Thing.

Tawnya said...

Tons of laughing out loud Becky! Thanks for sharing your ramblings! You have such a funny way of communicating day-to-day things. The cat story is too much!