5/20/11

quick 5

We are having a wild  chaotic peaceful fun-filled time with our nepehews and niece who are visiting. With these guests, our house is home to 6 kids, 6 and under. It's a juice box fest, folks. Yesterday we hit the zoo. Last night we grilled pizza.  Donut Professor is on the agenda for this morning. Oh yeah- we are giving them the full tour. I will gush all about how darling and unique these little cousins are later- right now I have approximately 10 minutes to say 5 things.

1. It occurred to me yesterday that the true danger of facebook is not wasting time, for that is the danger of practically everything we have access to. The thing that concerns me about facebook  is knowing what someone ate for breakfast does not equal meaningful relationship, especially when I haven't seen that person in five years. More importantly, do you know what's going on this week in your friend's home, heart, marriage, kids, workplace, soul?  I think it's cool to use facebook to keep in touch and maintain relationships, it just seems to produce a false community, a community that is essentially not a community but a bulletin board, where you don't have to look into each other's eyes and say hard things and find it in you to respond well. Enough about that.

2. This week I read War and Peace by Tolstoy. It's awesome. Just kidding. About both of those statements.

3. Ella now watches TV. It's very odd to just see her sitting on the couch...just sitting. It makes me think of "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" when Toula gets engaged and her sensitive family says, "We never thought this day would come for you. Never."

Time is out and there are two things left! Ok...

4. Suddenly we are into watching Wipeout with the boys. It's basically a bunch of people trying to conquer obstacle courses that are made up up huge inflatable things that are messy and wet somehow. And the people just run around, get smacked, and fall in the water. It has all the components of TV for young boys: physical comedy with no language or mature themes. It cracks 'em up. Drew is fairly convinced that Tuck would win if we could enter him.

5. That's all I got. I guess I'll have to owe you one for next week because I cannot think of anything else to say. Have a good weekend!

P.S. Wanted to say hello to my dad who is in Korea this week. I told Ella we were having donuts today and she replied, "Fanfa?" (Grandpa?) See you soon.

That's it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tell Ella grandpa will be back to see her soon, with doughnuts!

Grandpa