6/15/11

side effects of decreased activity

It's 7:27 on my oven clock; one of those days when you've been up, started laundry, had breakfast, breakfast clean up, and now we are watching our second episode of Super Why (Ella calls it "Su-su why save the day!"). Funny how easy it is to be forgiving of early risers when you get yourself to bed at a decent hour and actually sleep well.


Good sleep is just one side effect of the "decreased activity" order from my doctor. It seems my body likes all this laying around; hip and back pain are gone, contractions have slowed way down, and I find myself kind of...pleasant. Sure, the house looks worse than usual. I haven't been cooking much to speak of, because that would involve large grocery trips that I have scrapped from my daily activities. And gone are my schemes to get all re-organized before baby appears. But there is another side effect of this "leisurely" take on summer, one that I think has more to do with my soul than my chores.


I'm thinking. Revolutionary, I know. It occurred to me yesterday that in my daily hustle and bustle, when I am pushing hard to get the most done and in the most strategic ways with my kids, I'm not very reflective. But now, as I lay on the bed for 20 minutes to stop contractions after the morning routine,  I find myself thinking: about the needs of my husband, the hearts of my kids, the lives of my friends, the state of my church, the coming realities of baby girl.  Some moments it's overwhelming, to really think about your life like that. But mostly it's clarifying, and it makes me realize how much I usually just think about myself. 


It kind of puts a whole new spin on the idea of being productive (such a treacherous word for the stay-at-home mom). I guess by productive we mean "producing a lot of results", but what if we sought to be productive as in "producing a lot of purposeful life in our homes." I think that would require more rest and less bustle, more thinking and less reacting, more time listening to our Savior and less time problem solving our own conundrums. 


Perhaps in this life it will ever be our struggle to truly find rest in a world that is not our home. But it seems if we can live in His Kingdom even while here on earth, we should be able to rest as we go. And I am finding that a restful heart leads to a cheerful mom, and many good things come from that. 


I encourage you to rest today. You may be thinking, "I can't afford to." But I would challenge that your Savior and loved ones are so important, you can't afford not to. So find a moment to still your heart and fix your eyes on Christ. 


Rest well, friend. 



3 comments:

Tawnya said...

Made the tough choice to take a nap today instead of tackle a much needed project. I KNOW I'm a much more pleasant, patience and understanding mom when I'm rested. Thanks for your thoughts Becky. Praying for you - you are close to mind these days!

Teresa said...

Absolutely beautiful.

Christy said...

I totally agree with you. Lately I have been trying to read Ann Voskamp's "Parenting Manifesto of Joy" (http://www.aholyexperience.com/10-points-of-joyful-parenting-printable/) in the morning, (if and when I get up before the kiddos), just to remind myself of some of these things you wrote about. I am especially convicted on her point #3, "Today, I will not have any emergencies. There are no emergencies! Only amateurs hurry."