9/23/11

quick 5

Hey there. Hooray for the first quick 5 of the fall! The air is getting crisp and the mornings chilly as the seasons change around here. I feel like doing fall-ish things: pumpkin patch, apple orchards, apple cider, apple pie, apple crisp, caramel apples...I'm sensing a theme.

1. I started reading "Little Women" this week and it's lovely. I think a great book is like a friend that you revisit and find new things about them. (My friend, Rachel, came to visit a few months back and I realized that she is a good question-asker. I don't think I ever appreciated that about her in the past 15 years of friendship.) In this go around, I find myself reflecting more on Marmee, the mother, than on the sisters. She is so wise, and one particular passage of advice really struck me.
"I want my daughters to be beautiful, accomplished, and good; to be admired, loved and respected; to have a happy youth, to be well and wisely married, and to lead useful, pleasant lives with as little care and sorrow to try them as God sees fit to send. To be loved and chosen by a good man is the best and sweetest thing which can happen to a woman, and I sincerely hope my girls may know this beautiful experience."
2.  Can someone please explain Pinterest to me? I've been there a few times but don't really get the concept yet. Do you "pin" things you like? Where do you get the pictures? Does it cost to be a member? Is it mostly crafty people or are there other types "pinning" things? Do you browse other people's boards? What's the point?  Someone please explain this to me because I am genuinely intrigued but confused. Thank you.

3. I want to write a book. The subject that I am most passionate about is how much I like books. Sooooo I've come up with the genius idea to write a book about how much I like books. Yeah...I know...back to the drawing board on that one.

4. Last week my husband went to redbox to get us a movie for the evening and came back with a new version of "Jane Eyre". It (the movie) was great.  (In particular, I thought the casting was superb. Jane was perfect- not too pretty but likable and interesting. Mr. Rochester was perfect- moody but almost to be trusted. Really good remake, though I confess I am not a huge devotee of the novel so if they strayed from the original storyline I might not have noticed as I haven't read it in years.)

More importantly, my husband is great. 

5. A few weeks back, our cat, Tutu, wandered in the door sporting a flea collar. No big deal, except that we didn't put it on him. Apparently a little family down the street had adopted him and were feeding him, letting him in their house, and taking over the general care of him. Garrett said we should ask them to stop. I said we should clip the latest vet bill to his collar, send him on his way, and then see if they really want to share ownership. The whole thing was funny but a little awkward, as we really did want them to stop feeding him and keeping him in their house. I think it is worked out as he has started returning to our house to eat and sleep.

Tutu, a cat in high demand

Ok...maybe I'd be looking for new digs, too

Home to stay

Guess that's all for now. Friday is upon us and I hope your weekend is restful and full of fall food fun!



5 comments:

Tawnya said...

Pinterest: Totally free and easy...the only tiny thing is you have to be 'invited' or just request a silly invite on the pinterest home page. You would love it. It is essentially a virtual pinboard. No more long lists of websites on your 'favorites' list. This keeps track of all things you love or want to keep track of in one spot. For instance...it is helping me pull together ideas for decorating our basement. But it's for anything...not just crafty/home stuff. You could keep a running list of books you want to read or places you want to visit:) Happy pinning...I know you want to:)

Becky said...

Thanks for the explanation, Tawya. I do kind of want to...

Victoria said...

Do it, Beck! Just do it... :)

Stacey said...

Thanks for the review on "Jane Eyre"! I've been wanting to see it, but some friends of mine are die-hard fans of the book and didn't like the movie. I'm not a die-hard fan, though I know the story very well after reading it in grad school. So, I'm hoping I'll like it after all! Also, have you considered attempting National Novel Writing Month in November? I am. I don't have anything good to write, but I want to try the experience. Maybe I'll get serious another year.

PS--If you need a invite to Pinterest, let me know. But I'm thinking you've probably got it covered. Personally, I'm loving it. I've found far more recipes I actually use and ideas for homeschool and sewing than I would ever have found before. "Happy pinning!"

Mark Collier said...

If your neighbors really want to feed another cat, I can send one of Jay and Kristina's (sneeze, sneeze, sniffle). That's not me crying because I'll miss them. It's allergies. The Tutu thing is seriously funny!