9/30/11

quick 5

Call me Ishmael.

I know, funny way to start the quick 5. I've been reading a book called "The Well-Educated Mind" and also reading watching Moby Dick. The former said that the first line of a work defines it, and is there any better opening line than "Call me Ishmael."? I think not.

I fear feel this may be a very literary quick 5.

1. Last night the hubby and I watched the first half of a TV-version of Moby Dick. (Before I go on, I feel the need to confess that I have never read Moby Dick. Seriously. This is a very embarrassing admission for someone who is aspiring to be well-read, but, alas, it is true. Have you read it?) Based on my limited knowledge of the book,  I can't tell you if this newest remake sticks closely to the novel. But I can tell you that it is good. Several things I thought in the course of this movie:
  1. Yeah! The first line of the movie is "Call me Ishmael." Good work.
  2. I had no idea it had a theme of equality and humanity.
  3. Is Ethan Hawke still making movies?
  4. Look- there's Pippin!
  5. Whalers are crazy.
  6. Whaling should be an extreme sport.
  7. Whaling would make an excellent reality TV show.
  8. Captain Ahab is crazy even for a whaler.
I'll stop there. Looking forward to catching the second half when Garrett returns from his weekend trip. It is on netflix and you should check it out. Really strong cast, beautiful though I have not watched or read past the first encounter with Moby.)

Here's the trailer:


2. We're scheming with our neighbors about attending the midnight showing of the opening of Breaking Dawn, the new Twlilight movie that comes out in November. (We actually all read the books before we knew that it would be a teeny bopper sensation and would therefore be mandatory for people who read it to also be able to text in their sleep and say "OMG" a lot.)  I was thinking of the whole Twilight series in light of the book "The Well-Educated Mind", and this thought hit me like a walnut in the back of the neck (remind to tell you about that later): There is great literature and there is great storytelling. If you could have the choice to write a book that would be loved by critics and hated by students who were forced to read it OR scorned by critics but loved by a billion young people who sobbed, bought all the merchandise, and created a million fan sites- which would you choose?  This question is particularly interesting to me because...

3. I am going to write a novel. In November. Thanks to Stacey who referred me to National Novel Writing Month ,I am endeavoring to complete a work of 50,000 words between November 1 and November 30. For the fun of it. For the challenge of writing. For the thrill of having a hobby that doesn't fit into the criteria of "I can do it while folding laundry or feeding the baby." I'm pretty excited. (Sure, you can read it- if you do it, too...any takers?)

4. In our Classical Conversations group we are learning history facts about early American history. To supplement, the kids and I are watching through Liberty's Kids, a TV show published by PBS that follows the lives of several adolescents prior to and through the Revolutionary War. I wasn't really sure how much information the kids would retain, but it is a good filler for the 20 minute gap in our school morning when I need to feed Tessa. However, last week we watched the episode about the battles at Concord and Lexington. As the Red Coats marched on Concord, Drew shook his head and muttered, "It's the Boston Massacre all over again." Guess he is getting it! It is amazing how much information is crammed in these shows- seriously. If you're stuck in a rut, check them out. (Full seasons are on netflix)

Here's a bit of the first episode:



(Just as a caution- depending how sensitive your kids are, you may want to screen first. The shows don't actually show the violence, but there are realities of slavery, war, death, etc. that are talked about by the characters. I think the characters respond appropriately to it so it's not glorified, but just be aware that those things are in there.) 

And another caution- the theme song will stick in your head for DAYS on end. Sheesh.


5. What's that noise in the background? Do you hear it...that loud clunk? That's just the sound of walnuts denting the roofs of our cars.

What's that strange plink? That's just the sound of walnuts falling on the bicycle helmets that the kids are required to wear for these few weeks as they play in the backyard.

What's that awful screaming? That's just me, screaming because a falling walnut fell like a baseball hitting me right where my neck meets my spine.

What's that sound... like a chainsaw and people singing? That's our celebration where we cut down the tree, a recurring dream that we have during walnut season each year.

Oh, yes, it's walnut season, folks. How one tree can produce HUNDREDS of walnuts is beyond me. Seriously- it's out of control.

And, in the words of Forrest, that's all I have to say about that.

Guess that's all for the 5. I've been meaning to write about Little Women (the encouragement it was to me this week), homeschool realities, final thoughts on the Hunger Games, and a serious piece on the implications of Finland pondering an exit from the EU (one of those is not true...I'll just let you wait and see.)

Pulling the single parent weekend. Sheesh. But while I am home with my four, Garrett is camping with twenty teens. I think I have it easier so no pity parties around here. And being home alone just makes me more thankful for my teammate to return.

I hope your weekend is full of fall- not falling walnuts but pleasant fall things.

P.S. Thanks for the invite to Pinnterest.

P.S. again. Thanks for the comments lately.

P.S. encore. Are you opposed to blogs with ads? What do you guys think about that?

P.S. finale...(because the last line of a novel is important, too)
 
It was the devious-cruising Rachel, that in her retracing search after her missing children, only found another orphan.

4 comments:

Stacey said...

I'm so excited you're going to do NaNoWriMo! I've decided I'm going to do it just for the exercise and experience: I don't really have a good idea. I'd love to read yours if you actually let other people read it. Every time you speak of your desire to write a book, I think, "She totally should."

PS I'm trying to get my hands on a copy of The Well-Trained Mind also. I don't think we can buy it right now (even a used one) as it's been an expensive month, and then Christmas is coming. But maybe from the Library, and then buy it in after the New Year and Christmas is over.

Victoria said...

Wow...I'm so impressed that you're going for NaNoWriMo! I've heard about it for years and it's on my bucket list. I decided this year to do the 31 Days series on my blog instead. I fully support your endeavor, and can't wait to hear how you fit in writing 50k words while mothering 4 children. Of course, once you do it, I will have no excuse not to...

Sharon said...

I've never read Moby Dick either, but my mom has and she told me that the author would spend well over 100 pages delving into the deeper intricacies of whaling... yea... not reading that anytime soon.

Teresa said...

I've read Moby Dick.
All 800 pages in college.
It truly captures whaling in all its glory.

Would you believe that I watched the first half of the William Hurt movie this week as well? How bizarre.

I did see Pippin the prophet, and I was surprised how multi-cultural it was. What a crew Captain King Ahab assembles. Love the Biblical names.

Except Queequeg.