10/17/11

my counter runneth over

I just finished mopping up a tidal wave of butter and cinnamon that was covering my counter top, the result of a cinnamon roll baking venture that turned sour. But on the bright side, it was by far the tastiest thing to ever flow and make small puddles on my kitchen floor. But then the obvious drawback is that my cinnamon rolls are lacking a bit of flavor. You win some, you lose some, I guess.

We had a nice but busy weekend around here. A friend of ours is visiting us along with her beautiful little baby. As I prepared her room, I thought about how nice it would be to have another woman in the house- practically like college! (Through our years at the boys' home and having boys myself, I have grown used to feeling outnumbered.) Then I truly considered the situation: 5 kids under seven, both of us breastfeeding, crashing into bed at 10:30, up around 6:00 a.m.- this is NOTHING like college. But it is still very fun to have her here.

We watched Tangled tonight. Have I mentioned how much I like that movie? It's been a long time since I've cried at a movie- and I mean a LONG time. (I didn't even cry when I read the Hunger Games- is that weird? My neighbor thinks so.) But for some reason, when Rapunzel and Flynn are sitting in the boat and the lights are floating around, I always tear up. I don't know why. It's such a sweet moment.

Speaking of crying, I have an idea for a bumper sticker:

No use crying over spilled milk, unless it's breast milk-
then feel free to curse.
 
Just kidding about that, but the sentiment rings true.
 
Last week I was in the kitchen when I felt a little hand give my hand a tug. I turned around to find Tae, our little neighbor boy.I was surprised, not because he doesn't often walk into our house but because I hadn't even heard him.  "Do you have a bathroom upstairs?" he asked. I replied that we did but that he could just use the one off the kitchen like usual. "But my sister is in there!"  Who knew? Apparently he did, I guess.
 
Well, just two minutes left on my oven timer. I hope your week is a like a tidal wave of butter on your counter top- warm, comforting, a bit messy, but not so bad that you can't sit back and laugh at yourself a little.
 
Good night, world.
 
 
 
 

No comments: