11/10/11

quick 5

Wow, it's Friday again. I feel like just like week it was Friday...

1. Have you been following the Penn State scandal? I'm so disgusted; I don't want to talk about it . But I do . But I don't. I heard it best summarized as "a crisis of character" on behalf of all the people involved. Guess that about sums it up.

2. This morning I told the kids they could watch a show on netflix if they could agree on one. Then the arguing started and everyone was inisistent that their particular favorite be chosen. "Never mind, we won't watch anything if you're only going to think of yourselves." Ella followed me into the other room to plead again to watch her show, the Cat in the Hat.

"You are only thinking of yourself," I told her.

"No!" she insisted, "I'm thinking of me AND the Cat in the Hat."

3. At our homeschool group this week I sat in on Drew's class. (So proud of that guy! This week he met the quarter's goal of saying all his states and capitals. He really worked hard considering how bumpy our first ten few weeks were.) They were playing a review game that was like Jeopardy. He cracked me up on his first time around when he said, "I'll take science for 500." He pretty much cleaned out the science category, which is his bread and butter. He did some math and history questions. He didn't touch the Latin or timeline; which is not surprising as we didn't touch those either this fall.

4. I'm still writing my novel. Fledglingly writing, to be exact (with adverbs like that, is it any wonder?) I am on track for my word count, but the last chapter was so slow I almost fell asleep just writing it. Need some serious inspiration because Dr. Pepper 10 can only take me so far. Maybe my main character could have a blog and every Friday give pithy little updates...You're right, that's so 2009. Sheesh.

5. I've been thinking some about Advent in preparation for our community starting to celebrate Advent on Sunday. I thought these two quotes were particularly insightful:

But Advent is not measured by calendar days. Advent is a season of preparation that transcends hours and minutes and appointments and lists. In Advent, we prepare for the coming as we choose to slow our pace rather than hurry. As we pause rather than rush. As we savor rather than devour. We slow and wait for theLord’s coming—looking back to that first coming in the loneliness of a stable and looking forward to the last coming at the last trumpet in the gathering of saints." – Walter Wangarin



It starts with Jesus. It ends with Jesus. This is the holistic approach God had in mind for Christmas. It’s a season where we are called to put down our burdens and lift a song up to our God. It’s a season where love wins, peace reigns, and a king is celebrated with each breath. It’s the party of the year. Entering the story of advent means entering this season with an overwhelming passion to worship Jesus to the fullest.- adventconspiracy.org

Advent Conspiracy has a lot of neat things to say. One of their catch phrases that really got me thinking was this: GIVE PRESENCE. They challenge the notion of determining the value of our gifts by what we buy. What if instead it was valuable because of what it personally cost us? Interesting idea. I like the idea that our presence, the gift of our time and energy in some one's life, is truly a gift. So if you're wondering what to give your neighbors, do something memorable together. Stuck on gifts for kids? Host a puppet show or game night or dance party. Take lots of pictures- or better yet, let the kids take pictures. (This whole idea reminded me that kids spell love differently- they spell it T-I-M-E.) Be present, fully there and available, with them.

I guess that's all for this week. Gonna feed the baby and start in on today's words.

Maybe my character could have some sort of quest involving a piece of jewelry...too familiar?

Maybe she could love a vampire and a werewolf (sort of) and then have to choose...been done? Speaking of that subject, random quote I saw this week:

"Harry Potter is about confronting fears, finding inner strength and doing
what is right in the face of adversity. Twilight is about how important it
is to have a boyfriend." - Stephen King


I guess Twilight is kind of about that. (That comment does seem a little uppity from Stephen King- King of Horror books, am I right? I mean, he can write but he's no Victor Hugo. Just my two cents, but what do I know. I'm a fourth way into my first book that still has little plot.)

OK- have a great Friday and peaceful weekend. Hope you and yours have recovered from the time change!!!!

Later, skater.

1 comment:

Teresa said...

I thought the name of your novel was Fledglingly at first