12/23/11

a merry quick 5

Can it really be Christmas Eve Eve already? I will spare you the comments about how fast December went but, sheesh.

1. Last night we had a Christmas reunion party with some of our old guys. (For six years we lived in a residential home for teenage boys and we try to gather during the Christmas season each year.) Such memories. Such laughter. Such appreciation for homemade food. Such ability to eat huge plates of homemade food. It was truley a sweet evening.

2. Awhile back I was painting Ella's fingernails and Isaac was sitting with us at the kitchen island. He selected a nail color and declared that it was his turn next.  "Sorry, bud," I replied, "painting nails is just for girls." Isaac was mad and demanded to know what kinds of things were just for boys. As my mind scrambled to think of any activity that was unique to boys, Drew (age 6) walked by nonchalantly and said over his shoulder, "Mohawks and BB guns."

Oh, dear.

3. I've done a bit of Christmas baking as of late and have found some real winners in the recipe department. Here are just a few:

Gingerbread biscotti
Oreo Truffles
Snickerdoodle Muffins
Sopapilla Cheesecake
And the best Blueberry Muffin recipe EVER

Looking forward to Overnight Blueberry French Toast on Christmas Eve!

Have you noticed blueberries are strangely cheap right now? Hence, all the blueberry recipes.

Also, does it drive you nuts that on allrecipes.com people will rate a recipe 5 stars and then list all the things they changed about that recipe? I don't get it.

4. Last night I watched 'That Thing You Do.'
Can I just say that I love that movie? I couldn't stop smiling for the first 45 minutes, I know every line of every song, I think Tom Hanks is just the best, and Lenny- he still cracks me up. If you have not seen this movie, you should check it out (and it is on Netflix right now!)



5. Here are some highlights from our holiday photo shoot.

 I thought the random glasses would make a really funny Christmas card...but couldn't quite make it work.
 Tessa is done.

The pictures got increasingly worse the longer we tried.  

When all was said and done (and at these ages, A LOT is both said and done) I used the first picture I had snapped that day. (The only picture  before I said, "Ella, go spit out your gum.") But I like how it captures each of the kids.




Here's wishing you a great Friday, safe travels, and a very Merry Christmas!


3 comments:

Nicole said...

Okay, Drew cracks me up; I LOVE the picture... LOOOOOOOOOOVE it.

Teresa said...

Gonna have to check out Mr. F-O-X in TTYD. Thanks for letting me know it's on Nflx.

The Weddles said...

I enjoy reading your blog! cute kids.