1/19/12

the post in which we all commit to read a french novel

Jean Valjean entered the galleys sobbing and trembling; he left hardened. He entered in despair; he left sullen. What had happened within the soul?

Have I mentioned that my favorite book is Les Miserables by Victor Hugo?

A character, as well as a rock, may have holes worn into it by drops of water.

Have I mentioned that every chapter in that book is full of phrases and dialogue that will stir your soul to ponder things like redemption, grace, hypocrisy, forgiveness, poverty, and love?

Liberation is not deliverance. A convict may leave prison behind but not his sentence.

Have I mentioned that I am also passionate about the movie and musical version of this story?

When they saw him making money, they said "He is a merchant." When they saw the way in which he scattered his money, they said, "He is ambitious." When they saw him refuse honors, they said, "He is an adventurer" When they saw him repel the advances of the fashionable, they said, "He is a brute."

The answer to all of the above is Yes!!!!

So, you can imagine my excitement (and anxiety- I mean, this is a big story that they are tangling with here) about the new version of Les Mis that is set to hit theaters at the end of this year.

It is a musical.

It is a major motion picture.

Hugh Jackman is playing the lead.

Russell Crowe is the villainous Javert.

Other cast members include Anne Hathaway and Taylor Swift.

<Gulp>

I know. I know.

So, I think that in preparation for this big debut, we should all read (or re-read) Les Mis.

So what if it is 1300 pages.

So what if large portions of that are lengthy descriptions of Paris (I give you freedom to skim when necessary.)

You have no excuses.

Drew is almost done.



Ella is just getting into it.


Isaac got tired of waiting and downloaded it on the kindle. 

He's actually reading it in French. Such a renaissance man.

So go reserve a copy at your local library.

Or if you have a Kindle, grab it here for $1.99.

Just do it! If you start now and read 48 pages a week, you'll be done in plenty of time for the new movie.

Let's face it- if you just stopped using facebook and read Les Miserables, you could be done way before the movie comes out.

I'm just saying...

So go! Now! Run! Get started and let me know if you, too, think that the Bishop is the best person that you have never met.

Despair is surrounded by fragile walls, which all open into vice or crime.

OK. That's all for now. But one last quote:

Jean Valjean was oft heard calling Dr. Pepper 'the nectar of the gods'.

(OK- that one was me.)



3 comments:

Nicole @ she-laughs said...

WHAAAAAAAAAAT?!?!?!?! I can't wait.

K said...

Count me in!!! It has been forever since I've read it, but I do remember loving it. I'm super excited about the new movie! Tx for the heads up that it is coming out!

-Kristy

K said...

Count me in!!! It has been forever since I've read it, but I do remember loving it. I'm super excited about the new movie! Tx for the heads up that it is coming out!

-Kristy