1/6/12

quick 5

Can it really be the middle of January? The day slipped away from me as the warm weather outside kept calling us out. Hope the weather is as pleasant wherever you are on this first Friday of January!

1. My kitchen is a little crazy (which is not newsworthy- it would be more newsworthy if it wasn't crazy but the reason it is crazy is newsworthy so read on) because at 4:00 it was declared that we would have a pizza picnic with our neighbors. In January. In Nebraska. So we spent the evening with our treasured friend, Little Caesar, and our rockin' neighbors. Just when you think they can't get any cooler (our neighbors- not LC), they go and buy a trampoline. So that is big news around here (Ella actually prays, "Dear God- thank you for the trampoline...") But you know how it goes. If you sit outside and look around, someone inevitably says, "Maybe we should light the fire pit." And then the men decide to chop wood. And then before you know it there is a circular saw involved. I can only say that I wish the pictures were better. And we had a lovely fire, and an even lovelier evening. Robert Frost wrote that "good fences make good neighbors", but I happen to think that good people make good neighbors.

2. Over the holidays we took a longer-than-intended break from homeschooling. So now we are trying to get back at it but, I'm not gonna lie, it's a struggle to get back on that treadmill (you can take that literally or figuratively. Both would be accurate). One thing we do often is review in the car. Ella in particular likes to sing the states and capitals song. I prefer her version of the first verse:

"Augusta, Man
Concord, New Hampster
Bossin Mass and Chews It.
Pawidence, Road I and
Hartford, Connect Ick-cut."

3.Today at our WIC appointment we  acquired three plates that look like this. Apparently the food pyramid is no longer the thing, now the daily balanced diet can be visualized as the portions of a plate, with fruits and veggies taking up half of your meal, whole grains and protein making up the other half.

 
On the way home, I declared we would stop for a powdered donut because said appointment went much longer than expected. "Yes!" declared Drew, "I can use my new plate!" I didn't have the heart to break it to him that there wasn't a very good fit for our love of donuts on this new dishware. Oh, dear.  However, I have had the genius idea to design a dessert plate to accompany the above plate. It could be like 1/3 chocolate, 1/3 ice cream, and 1/3 .....I don't know. It's still in the design phase but I'll keep you posted on that.


4. I have this very predictable and boring habit of watching the same movies over and over. And over. And over. And over. It's like I don't want to waste my time watching something I might not like, so I'll just watch something that I know I already like. Here's some of the one liners that float around in my mind...and conversations.

"So much of what I see reminds me of something I read in a book, when shouldn't it be the other way around?"

"We play a lot of cards in Erie, PA."

"Shelves in the closet? Happy thought, indeed."

"Grace has Bob's dead wife's heart!" and "Potty mouth will change you." and "Hey, kids! It's Sammy Sosa!". Oh, man. I really like that movie.

"Your dream stinks. I was talking to her."

"Do the Q-tip! Q-tip! Now throw it away! Now what am I doing? I'm makin a pizza!"

Yep- same ones over and over. (If you didn't catch all those, they were You've Got Mail, That Thing You Do, Pride and Prejudice, Return to Me, Tangled, and Hitch.)

5. Today while riding in the car I began to refer to my children as though they were hip-hop artists. (Why? I don't know why. Lack of sleep + lack of caffeine + morning spent in a waiting room with lots of other children = rides home that are not entirely lucid + need for powdered donuts.)

I called them...

Big Dawg


Main Man (excuse the wardrobe malfunction)

 Home Slice

 (I don't know why. I just heard that phrase recently and thought, "Why doesn't anybody say that any more?" So I'm bringing it back. Single-handedly. Unless you want to join me and we could bring it back together. Double-handedly?)

So then the conversation turned to what my hip-hop name would be. I immediately ruled out "Big Mama." (I'm just at a phase of life where I don't want to be referred to as big.) The kids vetoed this idea,and decided I should be...

 Big Spanker!?!?!?

Sheesh.

I know what you're thinking- the only thing more terrible than that name is that picture. It kind of reminds me of those tabloid covers where someone is either headed for rehab, just got dumped, or (gasp) is caught in public without makeup.

Wow. I lead a glamorous life.

And that brings this quick 5 to an odd and halting close.

Guess that's all for this Friday.

Thanks for all the comments lately- fun to have some new faces (technically it would be new names that are attached to new faces) around here.

Thanks also to the folks who have shared posts on facebook- appreciate it when someone is touched (or just made to laugh) enough to want to pass it on.  

For those of you who are new- here's how we roll: the posts come in spurts but we try to always meet up on Fridays. I try to be honest about life as I know it, and, quite honestly, I don't know that much.

Catch you later, Home Slice (sorry- couldn't help myself).





3 comments:

Stacey said...

Those are the same movies (well, except, "That Thing You Do") I watch over and over and over! I found myself laughing and saying, "Yep!" because I know every line.

Katie T. said...

Happened to read your post today, and we have the same taste in movies too! The only one I didn't get was shelves in the closet...can you divulge the movie? I'm guessing a Jane Austen one? Oh, and my hubby is from Erie, PA. : )

Anonymous said...

Goodness, you are funny! Big spanker! love it. - em