3/23/12

quick 5

I would like to start this quick 5 by saying, "May the odds be ever in your favor."


And by posting this picture.

 


If neither of these ring a bell, please disregard. 


1. I am in the habit of keeping plans from the kids. It's not that I don't want them to know, it's that I get tired of all the questions and they grow impatient when the event is slow in coming. We counted down to our Colorado trip for 50 days last year. While that was fun, it was a bit much. So I waited until two weeks out to tell them that we will be meeting their grandparents in Kansas City for a weekend. Now every time we head to the car Ella cheers, "Yeah! I can't wait to get to Kansas City." And then I have to explain actually we are going to school. Or Walmart. Or the library. I guess two weeks out was still too long?


2. I was working frantically on a project this week, a project that resulted in a cleaned out playroom and a filled up dining room. Then I learned today that the deadline for the project is actually a month out and not a week out. This was met with relief, and the firm conviction that I will constantly work on this project slowly over the next month so that I can do a thorough job and avoid this crazy rushed feeling that has plagued the last 48 hours. But then I think back to college...and moving...and packing for trips...and I think that my track record shows that slow and diligent preparation is not my thing. Here's to growth!


3. Let me tell you a story.  This One morning Isaac and Ella met a bottle of blue ink. Then Ink met hands. Ink met clothes. Ink met couch. Ink met wood floor. Ella told mom. Mom met Ink. Mom cleaned Ella. Mom cleaned Isaac. Mom cleaned clothes. Mom cleaned couch. Mom cleaned wood floor. Ink was very attached to wood floor and would not go. Mom had a nervous break down and poured a drink at 8:23 a.m. The End. 


(Parts of that story are fictional- just the drinking part. Names were not changed to protect the innocent.)


4. Parts of our Classical Conversations community crack me up. It is a funny thing when young children interact with (what is traditionally considered) older kid material. A few weeks back we memorized a fact about Brown vs. Board of Education. After I explained why it was important, Isaac said, "Oh, man. I'm really thankful for Brown vs. Board of Education. Before that, Hannah couldn't be in my class." Hannah is African-American, so I guess that is a correct assumption. As I was walking down the stairs during our CC morning time, one little girl (7 or 8 years) turns to another and says, "I just don't get why they call it States Rights!" So funny! (and yes- history fact of the week involves the Bill of Rights.)


5. I've been thinking lately about the double standard of motherhood. It's uncanny how in so many areas I am so deeply committed to make better choices for my children than I am for myself. I am committed to their rest, believing that they will be happier and healthier with a good night's sleep. I, on the other hand, struggle to prioritize the basic area of sleep. I don't let them snack on things that I would pop in my mouth without a second thought. They always have full wardrobes, changing regularly with season and size. I, on the other hand, dread finding something to wear to anything other than...the kitchen. They get regular haircuts. Me? Maybe twice a year. At some point I think these things all seemed sacrificial, but somewhere along the line it kind of all got neglectful. What am I really saying to them? 


When you're a kid, you can't eat sugary foods. But grown-ups are immune to sugar. 


Grown-ups don't need sleep.


No, you can't grow your hair out forever until it's impossible to style. Wait until you grow up.


I could go on and on about this. But let's just say: I'm tired of it. For real. Thoughts on that, anyone?


Well, that's all for now. We are headed away for a few days to hang with some teens next week. (Have you heard how TNT stole their tagline from us? Houseparents: We know drama.)


Guess that's all. Please do not text me your thoughts about the Hunger Games movie until after 9:15 p.m. on Friday night. Thank you. 


So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, adieu!

2 comments:

Teresa said...

There's a sad sort of clanging
From the clock in the hall
And the bells in the steeple, too

And up in the nursery
An absurd little bird
Is popping out to say cu-koo.

Mike and Lisa said...

Hi Becky! I've heard of classical conversations before, so I looked at their website, but I was a bit overwhelmed. Could you message me on Facebook and give me a quick summary of what it is and how it compares to your typical parent chosen homeschool curriculum? I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks! (=