5/23/12

wandering wednesday thoughts

Today I woke early with a baby whose little legs just can't seem to stay out of the crib slats. Today we did the early grocery run, had donuts on return, met some neighbor kids from across the street. It was kind of a usual day.


In the back of my mind, I think of my friends' days. One sweet friend lost her mother early this morning. Another family who have grown so special to us are attending their grandma's funeral. 


How can it be possible that I change laundry and wipe noses as other people watch death or say good-byes? 


I've had that thought before that every humdrum day is a major day in someone else's life: the birth of their child, the loss of a parent, a dream reached or gone, a friendship found; moving day, graduation day, wedding day, funeral. 


Death, in particular, can come on us unawares and leave us winded and gasping. But it also serves to remind us that we as people are not commodities (what can you do for me?) or merely consumers (what do we need? what do we want? what can we have?) We are relational beings, meant to be with others and to feel each loss as though an irreplaceable part of us has gone. 


Every time I brush death through the lives of others, I am reminded of my desire to fully love others now, to say things I would want them to know, to speak my admiration freely. Sometimes we settle for making peace before death, but why not speak living words that would bring peace and life as we live together? Easier said than done, I know.


Naptime is ending and people are stirring, crying for goldfish crackers and attention in general.


So good-bye to you. I hope that your day, whether it is just another rut in the wheel or a memorable moment, will be filled with grace for yourself and others.







5 comments:

Nicole @ she-laughs said...

At one point today I was completely overwhelmed by emotion for T. Many prayers have been lifting her up today.

Becky said...

Thanks, friend.

K said...

So true Becky. In the past 2 weeks we have buried my Grandfather and married off my little sister. I love your thought about speaking "living" words to the people in our lives.

K said...

So true Becky. In the past 2 weeks we have buried my Grandfather and married off my little sister. I love your thought about speaking "living" words to the people in our lives.

Stacey said...

I thought of this post yesterday. We have been "brushing death" quite a bit here. In the last few weeks, one of our state representatives that my mother worked with was killed in a car accident, a young woman I knew from joint youth trips with her church and her friendship to girls I have worked with was run down by a former classmate, and just yesterday we learned that the husband of a young woman in our congregation was killed in an another accident. It has been hard to watch fellow believers and friends struggle with their grief as they also place their trust in God and His sovereignty. It has reminded me every day how blessed I am and how much I want to give.