6/4/12

Hello, hello? Is this thing on?


I know it's been awhile. I wish I could say that I haven't written because I've been furiously cleaning and organizing my house, every spare moment spent labeling or filing or dusting off those newly reclaimed surfaces. But that would be a lie.


It's summer around here. Summer: the season where you think you're going to sit around and do nothing, when in fact you spend a lot of time doing a lot of things. Good things, mind you, just a lot of them. 


What have I been up to?


Well, I've been chasing my baby a lot. Ah yes. I lived for a few serene months in the land of "I've Got This 4 Kid Thing Down" and have moved now to "Houston, We Have a Problem." My Tessa is cruising and eating and voicing little opinions about things like being stuck in her high chair and plopped in the pack-n-play. She's still a bunch of smiles, they are just smiles that come mostly for the neighbor's dog (yes- she says a version of "Hi doggy!") and her siblings who squeeze her and her loving dad. 


I've also been writing. I am within striking distance of the end of my first draft, and it's so close I can almost taste it! (It tastes like grilled pizza and dr. pepper, in case you were wondering). So I've been pushing hard on that. I had been in the habit of writing 300 words a night (about 25 minutes) and have switched to 1000 (60-90 minutes, if all goes well). 


Speaking of my novel, I recently learned that the title I had been favoring is already the title of several books, like this and this and this. Three books in the last five years? Guess its back to the drawing board on that. 


I woke up with a crazy head cold and sound a bit like Darth Vader on autotune. It's awesome. At nap time today, I raised my voice at Isaac and Ella trying to hurry them into bed. Something about the increase in volume made me sound a lot like Gollum and they both burst into tears because it scared them. True story. 


This is my 501st post. Wow. Think of how many hours of your life you have wasted hearing about my Dr. Pepper cravings. I'm not sure if I should celebrate the number of posts or sincerely apologize to you.


Guess that's it for today. 


See ya Friday.





4 comments:

Teresa said...

Hey, if they can all have the same titled book, then why can't you?

I love it.

Would I lie to you?

Just ask Annie Lennox.

Look around, you might just find the inspiration for your title lying around.

What about Tongues of Flame? Kind of like a hearkening back to Biblical times.

Why can't I stop this nonsense?

Christy said...

wowza. that first link has me cracking up at the book cover!!!

Becky said...

T- who is Annie Lennox?

Christy- I know, right? Sheesh.

Teresa said...

Annie Lennox - very little hair but a memorable performer.

She is the hauntingly powerful voice & lead singer for the Eurythmics, one of the zillion British bands that continued to flood the US during the 80s.

Most of those bands were one-hit-wonders, but Lennox actually has some staying power, as she did the song "Into the West" for LOR-III soundtrack.

Another big song of theirs was Sweet Dreams (Are Made of These).


Would I say something that wasn't true?