6/15/12

quick 5

1. I'm chomping on ice as I hear the sound of the Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling floating down from the kids' room. I smell like smoke. Tonight I had grilled pizza, smores, and a couple hours of fun adult conversation while the kids mostly amused themselves. Not sure summer nights get much better than that.


2. I'm gearing up for my first solo road trip with the four kids. I feel like I should be more nervous than I am. Just me and the 7, 4, 3, and almost 1 year old in the car together for nine hours- what's to be nervous about? I'll let you know how that whole thing shakes loose. It has the potential to be really good or really bad (but then- doesn't every venture that involves children?) One more day til we hit the road. 


3. I'm on the search for a really good novel to read this summer. I want something well-written, not suspenseful, compelling, and preferably not a series. Any suggestions??? I have a copy of "The Help" that I have been too lazy to crack open so I'm thinking maybe that would work.


4. I always have big ambitions for summer, as if its this full three months of sitting around doing nothing and I need to make a list of things to keep us busy. Not so much. But one thing I really do like to do together in the summer is memorize scripture. I've found just in the last 18 months that the school year is pretty full already with memory work. We can review some Bible but it isn't a great time for us to be tackling parts together. Last summer we did the Beatitudes, which was really rich, and this summer we are shooting for Psalm 139. (I wrote two posts about scripture memory with kids. You can check them out here and here.) We just started today and it was great. I love that part about parenting and it is so rewarding to be working gradually toward something together.






5. Here are some of my favorite pictures I have stumbled on lately. 


Ella the Warrior Princess Flower Girl- 9/2011

Isaac 'Cullen'- 10/2011

Christmas 2011

Tessa just home- 8/2011


Hope your weekend lingers at all the right times. Have a good one. 

6 comments:

Erica T said...

Becky, this is your stalker in Romania (Erica Bartsch Tuns). :) I don't know what your taste in novels is exactly, but I really enjoy Gene Stratton Porter's books. They have interesting characters, are sweet and wholesome, and usually contain some good thinking points for me about my character and values and such. Girl of the Limberlost is a favorite, but there are quite a few books to choose from. She also highlights nature a lot, birds, butterflies, etc., which I find interesting. Not so much current, but refreshing nonetheless.

Erica T said...

I guess I should clarify that her books are something along the lines of Louisa May Alcott if that helps define the genre.

Victoria said...

The Help will do quite nicely for all your novel needs. If you change your mind about suspense, read any book by Robert Liparulo. He is an EXCELLENT writer, but his books do make Lee want to buy a gun.

rachel said...

I vote for The Help, unless you haven't read the No. 1 Ladies Detective agency series (I know, I know - you said no to a series, but this one is just the right amount of compelling without being too intense).

I just came back (like, two hours ago) from taking three of my kids solo to Hong Kong. Three cheers for single parenting trips! (and yes, I'm totally wiped and have never been so grateful to see a fresh parent at the door of our house!) Best of luck to you. (And make sure you have lots of snacks. And a kindle. Or an ipad. Or lots of books for them. Ha!)

Sharon said...

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver, it is amazing!! We have a copy of it at home if you'd like to borrow it!

Christy said...

I loved The Help! It's a fast read, thought-provoking and laugh out loud funny at the same time.