8/31/12

quick 5

Yep, its Friday. And back by popular demand: the quick 5.

1. Today was a crazy one. Chores, school, piano in the morning. Friends stayed for lunch. Meeting in early afternoon that turned into meeting in the late afternoon. By 5:00, I was in the car with all the kids trying to gather essentials for the weekend camping trip that is coming at me fast and furious. Garrett wasn't answering his phone and I needed to touch base about...everything. Finally he answered, sounding a bit surprised. I chimed in, "Hey, babe. How are you? Where are you right now?" The silence on the other end, mixed with the tiny voice in the back of my head that was telling me this didn't sound like my husband, caused me to look at my phone. It was not my husband. It was my friend's husband.Great. I was so embarrassed. He was very gracious. I apologized and hung up quickly. Guess it could have been worse, "Hey there, hot stuff..." (Not that I talk that way in general to my husband on the phone with the kids in the car, but it could have been worse.)

2. The kids each memorized a few verses or passage this summer that I felt (hoped!) might be helpful in talking about some of the current hotspots in their life. Drew's was about being an example. Isaac's about self-control and anger. Ella's about true beauty. Ella in particular really took to hers and recited it often without being asked. Here she is on a random summer morning saying her verses. (The verses are from 1 Peter- not Psalm 139 like I say at the end of the video.)



3. We're going camping this weekend (if you replied, "I'm sorry," then your disposition towards camping is similar to mine.) Its not that I don't like nature- its that I don't really like to be hot, dirty, or constantly worrying if my kids are rolling in poison ivy somewhere. But sometimes you just have to get over yourself and do things that don't sound fun- because in the end they actually are fun and meaningful. And so we camp. This weekend's camping is better than your usual tent-in-the-woods camping because we will be joined by a crowd of our favorite people. So if there's anything to soften the blow of camping, its great people to chat with, late night campfires, extra sets of eyes to help corral kiddos, and a coffee bar. This is my kind of camping. 

4. Tessa started walking yesterday with six steps right in a row. And now she has a little gleam in her eye whenever she's on the floor. It was a big week for her: first steps, first PBJ, and she's starting to say a version of her siblings' names. So sweet. 



5. This week I watched When Harry Met Sally for the first time. I know- where have I been. I had started it once and just wasn't feeling it. But after Nora Ephron passed away, I was intrigued by several biographical sketches that I read- and they all seemed to mention 
When Harry Met Sally as a definitive work. So I watched it and cracked up a lot. My favorite piece of dialogue:


Harry: There are two kinds of women: high maintenance and low maintenance.
Sally: Which one am I?
Harry: You're the worst kind; you're high maintenance but you think you're low maintenance.
Sally: I don't see that.
Harry: You don't see that? Waiter, I'll begin with a house salad, but I don't want the regular dressing. I'll have the balsamic vinegar and oil, but on the side. And then the salmon with the mustard sauce, but I want the mustard sauce on the side. "On the side" is a very big thing for you.
Sally: Well, I just want it the way I want it.
Harry: I know; high maintenance.


Come to think of it, I think I might be high maintenance, too. Sheesh.

Well, that's a wrap. I'd like to thank my sibling (who shall remain nameless but lives in Chicago with her family) for the encouragement to get back in the swing of things with the quick 5. Apparently reading it is part of her Friday routine. Good morning, Sarah! 

Have a great Labor day, folks. 





3 comments:

Matt & Sarah said...

I'm posting so you know that I did read it as part of my morning routine. Thank you for being back on schedule :)

Teresa said...

I confess, WHMS is one of my faves. I love the split-screen TV-watching while on the phone.

I'm mainly just a Nora Ephron junkie, having just finished watching Sleepless ... again.

I'll chalk it up to enjoying the journey. I don't have a dark side. In fact, I'm probably one of those cheerful people who dots her "i"s with little hearts.

Anonymous said...

Пригожество, преимущественно первая фотка [url=http://tutledy.ru/muzhchiny-i-lyubov.html]мужчина и любовь[/url]