9/14/12

quick 5

Good morning, Friday. 

1. We are back in the swing of things when it comes to homeschooling. Its such a love/hate thing, homeschooling that is. Some days I think, "I have all this choice and freedom about what my kids will learn!" and then some days I moan, "This is all my responsibility! Eeeek!" But I guess its good to feel the weight of it, for it to sit a little heavy and have it rest a bit firmly on me. In reality, it is a big responsibility, and though I chose it freely, I don't always like the ways it spills out into everything else (like good-bye mornings and errands and play dates) But I would guess that parents who send their kids to school would feel the same way- that there are ways that choice spills out that they don't particularly enjoy. I guess you have to 'pick your poison', as they say. (who is they, exactly? pirates? executioners? I dunno.)

2. Drew was commenting on the confusing nature of girls. Talking about a girl in his class at  our homeschool community, he said, "The first week she wore a pink hello kitty shirt. But this week she wore blue and had a green water bottle. Its like 'Make up your mind, already!' "  

3. There are a few quotable quotes I thought I'd pass along this week.

  • From our Bible story today: "God loved them with all of his heart. And they were lovely because he loved them."  (spoke right to my heart)
  • From our bedtime story last night: "Imagine a time of VIKING HEROES, in which men were men and women were sort of men too and even some little babies had chest hair." (all of us laughed hysterically)
  • From the e-book I told you about last week: "This is a story of impossibilities: an addict who couldn't quit, but did; a marriage that could have ended, but didn't; a man who seemed dead, but lived." (I like stories of impossibilities)
  • From a movie scene that is stuck in my head:
    • Guy:  It's as though a window has been thrown open, and a lovely breeze swept through this stuffy old house. How could I object? 
    • Girl:  Even though the breeze comes from the general direction of the garage?
4. My entry way is bugging me. I don't why, but I feel it is next on the agenda for a little sprucing up. I have a plan that is brewing, a paint color almost decided, and a little chunk of time where 2/3 of my family will be away next weekend. I'll give you a clue: stripes. Oh, yeah. 

5. I discovered a show called My Boys about a female who lives in Chicago and hangs out with a random group of guys. The first season was alright; I watched it here and there when I was folding laundry or cleaning. So it didn't really keep me glued to the screen; I just left the room and wandered back in. But for some reason the second season is cracking me up. I don't know if there's a new writer but the dialogue is so funny and all the dynamics in the groups are sharper, somehow. It occurred to me that I think I would have enjoyed being a sportswriter. I like to write. I really like to watch sports (except baseball and golf and NASCAR and hockey...hmmm...maybe not) 

Speaking of me and sports, I lost my first fantasy football game last week. Talk about disappointing. Having a fantasy team is a lot like parenting: you prepare, study, implement a plan, and then have no control how it turns out. Why is this fun? Someone please explain this to me. 

Well, guess that's all she wrote. Hope your weekend has a cool fall breeze, a warm beverage topped with whipped cream, and someone dear that makes you laugh so hard you almost spill it all over. 

Later. 

3 comments:

Stacey said...

Thanks, Becky, for these Quick 5's. It's such a joy to come and "live in" your home through these items each week, or to virtually sit with you and a cup of coffee and hear your thoughts. I look forward to reading them each week, to enjoy your writing and the doings of your family.

Becky said...

Thank you, Stacey! I really appreciate that very gracious comment.

Katie T. said...

Becky, I love that line from the JSB too...it ministered to my heart as I read it again. I'm thinking it needs to go up on our wall somewhere for constant reminding. : )