12/6/12

quick 5

Hello there, big happy Friday world! Good morning!

1. This week I was making playlists on Spotify (its like Pandora but BETTER! Seriously, you can customize a playlist and save them and listen to them whenever!) I have a 'writing' playlist and a 'worship' playlist and a 'chilling out maxing relaxing all cool' play list. I thought it would be fun for the kids to have playlists that we could listen to when they cook with me or do the dishes or whatever. So I let the boys pick five songs and they picked the SAME songs- totally on their own. 

Shared songs: 
Walking on Water (Lecrae)
God is Enough (Lecrae & Flame) (Referred to in our house as "God is E-nuff nuff".)
Me and My Gang (Rascal Flatts)
Thriller (Michael Jackson!)

Isaac also added that beloved classic Gitchee Gitchee Goo (Phineas & Ferb) and Video Killed the Radio Star (Pentatonix).

Ella's list had its own spin- two Lecrae songs (including my personal favorite) and two Tangled songs.  Tessa is still a big fan of her Single Ladies rewrite but its not on spotify yet. So there you have it.

2. Have you heard about Pure Charity? Its a non-profit organization that lets you create an account, fund projects going on all around the world, and interact with others about the things you love. And one other small detail- you can earn a percentage of what you spend at some businesses and then allocate that money to causes you believe in. So do you shop at Walmart, Target, Lowe's, GAP, Radio Shack, Best Buy, Priceline, or the Apple store? Those are just a few of the places that will give you money back when you shop. Now I know the percentage isn't huge (1.5-3%, it varies) but if you can get a percentage of money that you would already be spending, why not distribute that to causes that matter to you? I am in the works of creating a project that I KNOW you will want to give to (or let your holiday shopping at Walmart give to) so go ahead and create an account. I'll keep you posted when its ready for you to join in! ;)

3. I've been looking back at the year a bit, trying to start wrapping up a little mentally and also to try to get a feel for what are the things that are important enough for me to really write about. Here's a few posts you may have missed along the way- or might enjoy again!

When you're running a lousy race
School daze and dreams clutched loosely
life in the salad bowl (or why I'm pro-immigrant)
Wandering wednesday thoughts

4. A few nights back I read Proverbs 31 and found these verses.


Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves,
    for the rights of all who are destitute.
Speak up and judge fairly;
    defend the rights of the poor and needy.

I was stirred by the challenge to use my voice for the voiceless. Its a moving thought, indeed, but what on earth does it mean? Its been running circles in my head ever since and I am happy to let it, hoping that it will work itself out at some point.

Do you use your voice for the voiceless? Could you explain how?

5. Sometimes I sit down to write on this blog and I think, "Really? Is another blog what the world really needs? What my family needs?" Its like there's a desire in my heart to communicate and search for meaning in the every day, but does it matter just because you do it? Or is there something else that makes it matter. I dunno. I'm not sure where all this is going (that makes two of us, right?) but I feel restless and yet hopeful. So I guess we'll see.

Well that is all that. This weekend we are sanitizing the house and praying like crazy and spitting on the kids like they do on "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" to ward off bad spirits. No bad spirits, per se, just the two other adults around here are experiencing the flu. And oh- heaven help us!- please let's not all have to have the flu in the next few weeks. 
I might start Christmas shopping. Might. 

And I promised the kids we'd drive around after dark and look at Christmas lights. So there's some goals for ya.

Wherever you are, whatever normal looks like for you and today has in store, I hope you find joy in the every day. Because that's where the real joy can take root; not in the fabulous or the fancy or the feel good, but in the faithful love and the steady friendship and the daily battle to be the version of you that is the most like Jesus. 

Here's to that, and here's to you.


2 comments:

Teresa said...

And here's to you, my friend!

Jamie said...

You don't even know how encouraging you are to me. Thank you for writing faithfully and thoughtfully. You make me think and remind me to have a purpose beyond toddlers. And yet, they are enough of a purpose in themselves too. Anyhoo...just thank you. Your blog does matter in my world.