2/15/13

quick 5

Is it only Friday? You ever have those weeks that seem to drag and drag and threaten to just pause forever on Wednesday afternoon? It was one of those for me. 

But here we are!

1. This week I read The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall. It was enchanting. Such a lovely little family and nice to read about warm summer days as we bundle up against the chill here. It's one of those books that leaves you with these vague longings that you have to sort through. 1) I need more daughters. At least two more. 2) I want to "vacation" somewhere each summer. And it wouldn't it be fun if it was the same place each summer, a place your kids grew up with as their summer home? 3) I want to re-read Little Women. 4) Brownies. Someone was always eating brownies in that book. 

2. Speaking of brownies, we had two of our favorite people over this week and capped off the night with coffee mug brownies. 



Something about your own little brownie in a coffee mug is just fun. And there are no leftovers- so you won't be munching on little half squares of brownies for the entire next three days (maybe that's just me...) And they are so warm and fudgy. Chocolate sauce is optional but vanilla ice cream is really a must. 

Coffee Mug brownie- see recipe here
If you endeavor to make the brownie with kids, you can line up all the mugs and just start adding ingredients, one at time, to each mug. And then the kids can use a spoon to stir like crazy in between ingredients. It's fun, and delish, as the kids say.

3. I've been reading 7 by Jen Hatmaker with a group of friends. You may recall that I read it last year, but the second time through is still so good. The food chapter messed with my head a bit as my friends and I took the challenge of not eating foods with more than five ingredients for a week. (Can you believe there are nine ingredients in the flour I usually buy? And don't get me started on the things added to shredded cheese or loaf bread. I miss my ignorance in this area but I'm trying to grow up about it and deal with reality. This article did not help that all this week.)

Anyways, this last week we read the chapter about possessions, causing us to rethink how much we really have and what that even means. It was good food for thought, but this quote from Shane Claiborne  has really stuck with me. 
"I had come to see that the great tragedy in the church is not that rich Christians do not care about the poor but that rich Christians do not know the poor....I long for the Calcutta slums to meet the Chicago suburbs, for lepers to meet landowners and for each to see God's image in the other...I truly believe that when the poor meet the rich, riches will have no meaning. And when the rich meet the poor, we will see poverty come to an end." (The Irresistible Revolution, 113-114.)
Yes. Amen. I don't know what else to say about it except that it rings true for me way down deep. 

4. This week we read The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein. I two have noteworthy stories about that. 

First, my children agreed that I look like Shel SIlverstein. 

Shel Silverstein

OK...thanks, kids. 

Next, we read the book aloud. Drew remembered the story from previous readings but it was new to Isaac and Ella. They were all riveted. 

If you don't know the story it is a story of a friendship between a tree and a boy. As the boys grows, the tree continues to give of itself in order to help the boy be happy.

So we read. When we got to the part where the tree offered the boy all of her limbs to build a house, Isaac gave a cry of "No! Don't do it!"

When the boy cut the tree down, he looked in shock. Ella's eyes were so round and her mouth fell open a little. I thought for a moment how this story reminded me a bit of motherhood, the giving and giving out of love for a child.

When the story ends, the boy is an old man and he is sitting on the tree stump, which is all that is left of his beloved tree.  Isaac sighed an emotional sigh and moved towards me. I thought he was going to hug me or crawl into my lap; he had that look about him. Instead he sat on my shoulder and said to me, "Come 'ere, ya old stump."

Oh, Isaac.

5. And now Ella, with the quote of the week!

While riding in the car, Ella declared, "I don't think I could marry a man who doesn't like to read books." Glad that is so clear to you at the age of three. 
 -------------

In other news....

Garrett and I went to Famous Dave's for an early Valentine's date. It sounded good to him and being with him anywhere sounded good to me. The next morning at breakfast, Drew elbowed me jokingly and said, "Bet all that barbecue sauce was pretty romantic, huh?" Sheesh.

I used the glue gun again to make a happy little banner (you can see it in the background of the kitchen pic) and I am pleased to report that there were far less injuries this time around. Apparently the glue gun and I have come to an understanding, unlike the first time. 


Well, that's what we're up to these days. After a jam-packed weekend behind us, we are looking forward to a slow one coming. My deadline for being 2/3 of the way through my final manuscript edit is this weekend so we'll see how that goes. 

Bedtime stories
Been thinking about Lent... maybe we'll chat about that next week?

Hope your Valentine's day left you feeling loved. I look at that picture of my sweet family and feel loved by God that he gave them to me and that this whole adventure is in His plan. 

Thanks for stopping by. Catch you later. 

2 comments:

Nicole @ she-laughs said...

The quote from 7... just lamenting to a friend last night about the very same thought. I've had several friends read this book and love it.

Your kids are hilarious.

mel4mil said...

Isaac's comment about the stump brought tears to my eyes...thanks for sharing. :)