3/15/13

quick 5

Today the sun warmed us up and the snow thinned out and swamps appeared in the yard. Spring...is that you? Took you long enough. Welcome!


1. An old friend (and fellow house parent during our time at the boys' home) wrote an article reflecting on his year of life at the boys' home. Which of course made me NEED to see pictures of my boys with my guys. Then this pic popped up and melted my heart. 
Isaac and Russell
 (You should check out Zach's post on community, Patchwork Family.)

 2. While searching through those pics, I found this...

Ella Renee at three weeks

and this...

The boys meet Ella- May '09. (Hello, four years ago!)
and suddenly the idea that is all flying by seemed like a gross understatement. 

Fall 2012


3. I made a pie today to celebrate Pi (3.14). The usual tradition is to go out for pie with my pie friend, Teresa. But a little strep throat diagnosis had me home with kids and so we (as in we all want to but not so much when it starts so it's actually just mom) made a pie instead. It looked great and tasted blah. BUT I did discover that all my life I have liked cookie dough because I was actually MADE TO EAT RAW PIE CRUST. Yep- awesome stuff. I have extra in the fridge and may munch on it tonight. So good. (Anyone with a great apple pie recipe? Drop a link in the comments!)

4. Part of the failure of my pie baking attempt is due to the fact that I am easily distracted. So once I had the syrup filling all mixed up and simmering, I realized that I had accidentally doubled the butter. This is not the first time this has happened. For some reason, in my mind, a stick of butter is 1/4 cup, when in reality it is 1/2 cup. So I tossed in two sticks when I only needed one. I tried to fix it, but ended up with a lovely crust and floating apples inside. Sheesh.

Furthermore, I made the exact same mistake when I tried to make Pioneer Woman's cinnamon rolls (picture butter flowing off the counter) and the first time I made scones (buttery delicious but a strange texture). It's so frustrating! Why can't I at least make new mistakes? 

5. I'm drawing a blank for number five here, I'm not gonna lie. So here's a few random happenings...
  • I was invited to be a part of a new online blog/community centered around creativity, art and a well-lived life. I will be mostly writing about parenting, and I think it is going to be a beautiful space. You can sign up here to be notified when it launches!
  • Is anyone following the last season of The Office? I'm in denial that it's almost over. I just am.
  • Last week I read Miss Fortune Cookie by Laura Bjorkman. I'd give it 3.5 out of 5 stars. (Did I mention I'm trying to read one YA novel every week? Any suggestions?)
  • I watched You've Got Mail on my birthday. Excellent. 
  • We only have three weeks of our homeschool group left for the school year. Sheesh!

Well, I guess that's it. Oh wait- one last thing...

Beware the ides of March.

OK- now we're done. Have a lovely weekend!


No comments: