9/27/13

quick 5


Hello, Friday and Friday fans!

1. 
Drew consulting the map at the Strategic Air and Space Museum


This week the boys and I took a field trip- just us. Amazing how much we could see and how fast (or slow) we could move and how the whole thing was not a lesson in crisis management. I didn't even have any goldfish crackers along, and no one needed snacks every  twelve minutes and it was lovely. It's hard to believe that some day they will all be school age and then we'll bop around, stroller-free, from one adventure to the next. Excited for those days.


A favorite part of the MathAlive exhibit
2. I've started to get up early again, meaning I try to be up awhile before the kids rise. The quiet house in the morning really lovely, life at it's finest, for me. And I mean that seriously. One of the downsides (and there are a handful) of rising early is that the caffeine crash moves up in the day. I used to drink coffee at 8:00 in the morning and feel it wear off at 1:00, which was perfect timing to get the girls settled for naps and then stay to supervise a bit. With my eyes closed. But I  come down from the 5:00 a.m. coffee at about 10:00 a.m.- smack dab in the middle of the homeschool morning.  So their energy is rising, they are losing focus and wandering off and starting to itch a bit from all the school work, and right then I need to sleep. NOW. Or I could just drink more coffee, but then I risk still being caffeinated and unable to doze at 1:00. Do you see my dilemma?  It's complicated.

3. 

I snapped a picture of this random pile of books in the kitchen. The Tale of Desperaux is on deck to be our next read aloud as soon as we finish Pippi Longstocking. A Year Down Yonder by Richard Peck is a juvenile fiction that I've been reading through. I'm trying to be intentional about reading as many Newberry Honor Books as possible in attempts to get a year or two ahead of my kids in the book department.  And there at the bottom, Nora Ephron's I Remember Nothing and Other Reflections.

I'm also reading On Writing by Stephen King and Dad is Fat by Jim Gaffigan. I like to read a lot of books at once; it feels you're having several different conversations. And then there is always something to fit your mood. Want to laugh? Jim. In the mood for excellent fiction? A Year Down Yonder. Want to become slightly disillusioned about someone you respect? Nora's book. Speaking of which...

4. At the library, I stumbled on Nora Ephron's book of essays and snatched it up. I've been of fan of her movies (particularly the dialogue) and enjoyed her insights on the director's commentary of You've Got Mail. (Don't judge- it's called being a fan, OK?) So I read her book. Several chapters were funny, some were insightful, but I couldn't shake this vibe. The thing about celebrity memoirs, particularly people who grew up with money or fame, is that a lot of it seems to be about establishing connections with influential people, describing life with influential people, and then torching them. I mean, can you imagine writing a book where you say negative things (and personal business) in regards to people who were once your people? I dunno. Seems like a low blow. 

5. On Tuesday I spent the afternoon in recovery mode. You know how it goes, trying to salvage the kitchen and dig out the living room and start the laundry up (again) and just get this show on the road. At one point, I have Tess and Isaac their snack and they were off to sit on the trampoline and "chat" (a funny game that they play as they eat. So cute.) As they walked off together, Tessa (two years old now) turned back to me and said, "You come, too, Mama. Come wif us."

It was my third invitation of the afternoon. After putting aside dishes to watch a drawing in progress and then abandoning laundry to witness a new creation in Minecraft, I felt ready to focus. But I also felt this overwhelmingly heavy thought: I have lived with teenagers, and I know that at some age they stop asking you to come along. They stop feeling like your presence will make it more special. They won't always want me- but they do today. And is there really anything happening in my house that cannot wait? It feels ridiculous to think of them as teens, but the years are fleeting, aren't they? I know I'll have regrets, but the great thing about regrets is that you can actually choose which ones you'll have. So I'm choosing "I didn't model how to run an excellent household" over "I didn't spend time with my kids." And I'm OK with that. 


In other news, I've been enjoying this book trailer and looking forward to getting the book in the mail when it comes out next week.

Hoping to watch the new Great Gatsby this weekend- anyone seen it?

Brandon Sanderson has a new book out as well- isn't fall a great time for books? I know everyone makes summer reading lists because somewhere a bunch of people are lounging the by pool, but that hasn't been my experience. Give this girl a fall reading a list, when the days darken early and you can curl up on the couch. That's when the reading is good, in my opinion. 

Have a lovely weekend. 



1 comment:

Teresa said...

Just because you brighten my day ...

http://youvegotmail.warnerbros.com/cmp/upperwest.html