10/4/13

quick 5

"I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers." 
Anne of Green Gable, L.M. Montgomery

1. I've been adjusting our homeschool schedule a bit, adding a little time of structured preschool for the girls. It's nothing too big, just a letter of the day with a few activities and rhymes. Yesterday, as we talked about the letter C, the girls were given some stickers to stick to their paper with the C on it. 


I commented to Ella that she had turned her C into an O. She replied, "It's still a C. It's abstract art, mom. Kind of my thing."

2. I've been reading along with some various 31 Days series. Some of my favorites are 31 Days of Cult Classics, 31 Days of the No Brainer Wardrobe Revisited, and 31 Days of Ordinary. There is a whole link up here with all the topics, though I did myself a favor and did not start clicking around. Seriously, you might wake up in December if you get lost in all that. 

3. "Cousins are like celebrities for little kids. If kids had a People magazine, they would put cousins on the front." - Jim Gaffigan

4. I started reading A Million Little Ways by Emily Freeman and find myself moving slowly, trying not to hurry. It feels important, weighty even, and I want to soak it in and not cruise through it. I keep coming back to a line from the book jacket that says, "Creating a life of meaning is not about finding that one great thing you were made to do, it's about knowing the one great God you were made to glorify- in a million little ways."

5. Are we a 5 yet? Phew, here we are. Sorry, folks, but I feel like I am out of words this week. It's been a lot of the daily, a lot of laundry and markers and dishes and sibling squabbles. I know I can write about all of that, but at some point my mind says, "Really? Are going to write about all that again?" And then somewhere else in my mind says, "You have any other ideas?" And here we are. It has been a good week, just one that had a certain length to the days (and shortness to the nights!) But here we are at Friday and that is a good feeling. 

Other important things...

You can go here for a quiz to find out what literary character you are.  (I got Juliet, from Romeo and Juliet. I wasn't happy with this so I took it again, changing my answers on the ones where I was tied between two answers. I got Juliet again! So it's rigged, people. Not that there's anything wrong with Juliet, per se, especially if you like moody irrational teenagers. It's just that someone I know got Gandalf. Gandalf! Sheesh.)

I thought this was an interesting insight from a mom and educator in New York, How the Common Core is Slowly Changing my Child. I'm not sure what to make of those changes, not sure how to articulate the gut feeling I have about it. Nebraska is one of the few states that rejected the Common Core (for now) but I think it's probably only a matter of time until the Core and Federal Funding go hand-in-hand. Like all issues of a political nature, I find it hard to get good information that is clear and unbiased. Guess we'll see how all that plays out. 

Well, enjoy the October of it all! Have a good one.





4 comments:

Teresa said...

I'm Tigger.

But I'm pretty sure that Elizabeth Bennett is a close second.

Teresa said...

Emma is Hermione from Harry Potter.

She is thrilled.

Teresa said...

Elijah is very disappointed.

He's Peter Pan.

Teresa said...

Elijah is very disappointed.

He's Peter Pan.