3/27/14

rainy day rambles

I'm at a coffee shop on this rainy afternoon, a great place to watch the drizzle and catch my breath. Ella Fitzgerald is playing over my earbuds, white mocha to keep me company, and all the littles are home and happy with grandma about. 

And so I wonder...what should I write about? I'd like to tell you about a Reader's Digest article I read, but it's not here and I'm afraid I'll butcher the actual content if I try to remember it. 

I'd like to weigh in on this whole World Vision chaos, except that I don't know what I would say and don't believe the internet needs another voice on that. The only advice I have is what I constantly tell my kids- Let's Be Nice. That seems to go a long way.

In a fit of crazy Kindle clicking, I bought five new books for my birthday, thanks to an Amazon gift card. The only problem is, four of these books are nonfiction. Seriously. What was I thinking???? Me + 4 Nonfiction Books= 5 years of reading. But the penny pincher in me won't be brought to buy other books until they are read, or at least given a fair shot. Of course the library is still free...

(The four books I got were I am Malala, The Locust Effect: Why the End of Poverty requires the End of Violence, The Monuments Men: Allied Heroes, Nazi Thieves, and the Greatest Treasure Hunt in History, and Call the Midwife: Shadows of the Workhouse.)

To make matters worse, I still haven't finished Quiet or Outliers. I think the lesson here is that, while I want to expand my mind and learn things, at the end of the day, I really just want snappy dialogue and interesting characters. But mostly the dialogue. Is it impossible to be addicted to dialogue? What a weird thing to ask.

In other news, my kids are getting huge. For those of you who haven't seen them in awhile, my oldest is shooting up so fast I can set my chin on the top of his head without bending over. And my baby is talking, talking in big long sentences with huge words. She's really not much of a baby, but I think the perk of the last one is that they will always be the baby, right? Maybe she'll hate that, some day, but she seems to sense that it gives her  a status, a certain place among us all. We'll see how she feels about all that when she's potty trained and weaned off her night time pacifier- two changes that are on the horizon for her. 
Tessa Jo

I keep stopping, staring out the window at this rain, thinking I really should be *doing* something with this time, something- you know- productive. Since when is being still, thinking, staring out the window such a bad thing? That's a habit I need to recultivate- the art of doing nothing, letting the mind spin, the body sit. 

I've had my book out to a few folks and enjoyed conversations as people finish and give me feedback. It's amazing how someone's perception of a book can be so different, how five people can have five different critiques. But though I thought that would be the worst part of it all (hearing all the critiques), it's really not. It's been very fun, and people have been so gracious, and it feels like actually telling a story and not just adding words to a document. What to do with all those ideas...I'm not sure. But I'm trying to look for themes, sift through varying opinions and find common ground, so we'll see. 

Well, I think that's all for this afternoon. Hope this rainy day finds you thinking, maybe staring out the window, or curled up with a good book. Fiction, preferably. But to each his own. 

Catch ya later. 




1 comment:

Teresa said...

Thanks for brightening my rainy day!

Outliers is AWESOME. I know once you pass the first chapter or so, you will think so too :) We love Malcolm Gladwell, and he is great on Audible.