4/4/14

thoughts for a Friday

I woke early this morning, partially to make some progress on some writing and partially due to the cat who needed to be outside at 5:07. I smiled a little when I opened the back door and a thin blanket of snow welcomed him outside. He hesitated, feeling I think what we all think about snow in April, and then I shooed him out, thinking of the wide margin of time I had before The Stirring began. 

Coffee, Bible, breathing quiet in the dark office. Just when the work began two little girls appeared, both before 6:00, too excited to sleep because of our road trip today. 

Seriously. Before 6. 

So now they've been given a very temporary distraction and all writing momentum of long, sustained thoughts is out the door. So here are, this Friday morning. Just you, me, and a blog post that is filling up.

This week I finished reading The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. It was both tremendous and terrifying, like a great work of art that you never want to experience again. At least that's how I feel right now. (I love books so much and I would truly like to be someone who reviews them well, but when I finish a book, I'm often overtaken with how I feel about it, that a review seems silly. Then, when time has passed and the feelings died down, I've usually forgotten too much to write a useful review.) 

But this book, you guys, this book...I was mostly astonished. Such a wide scope of history, such a masterful use of narrative, such a gut-wrenching portrayal of missions and family and unintended consequences. I never cried, but I swear I read with my mouth cracked open a bit, leaning forward, eyebrows scrunched down. It drew me in and then I wanted to beg it to let me go. But I hung in there and saw it through, and I'm glad I did. I think I will revisit this book one day, read it again to really enjoy the language and understand the history more instead of being so wrapped up in the narrative. It is a masterpiece.

We are on spring break this week, which basically means we took off Wednesday through Friday in celebration of persevering through another year of CC (we made it!) and preparing for a road trip to see some of our favorite folks. Should be a nice relaxing weekend: just me and my husband, our two friends, and our eight children (ages 9, 6,6,4,4,2,2, and baby!) I think a road trip is just what the dr. ordered for our little family and we are thankful for some time in the car to chat, connect, and read the next Mistborn book, The Well of Ascension.

Well, the natives are restless so better head. Here's a few good reads I've enjoyed this week. Hope your weekend is all that you hoped and all you need it to be. 


Catch ya later!



No comments: