2/10/15

what we're up to

Christmas pic outtakes
January came and went. Someone in our house turned 10. 


Yep, that guy right there. We celebrated with a video game party and the very first sleepover...not for the faint of heart, let me tell you. But look at that guy...wouldn't you stay up all night with him and his little buddies and then wake up four hours later with him and his little buddies? Of course you would. Once a year. Maybe every other year. To be determined. 

Then there's this one. 


He got a pet, and this pet is, I must tell you, the most unphotogenic pet in the entire world.  It's a bird, a little blue parakeet named Reggie. Pics to come... some day...maybe.

In the meantime, this one is learning to memorize books read.


Yep, pretty proud of herself. She's also knitting and beading and drawing pictures like crazy and spinning tall tales like her infamous, "The Story that Was and Then Wasn't But Was".

Of course, don't forget this one. 


This 3-year old is learning her letters like a boss and preparing for all things big sister and determined to name the new baby, "Strawberry". Yes, the baby boy. Strawberry.  Because that's her favorite thing and the baby is also her favorite thing.  Hard to argue with that. 

And so here we are, fighting through the homeschool year and tracking in snow and listening to audio books and trying to love each other even in the cabin fever of February. 

As far as books go, Garrett and I just finished reading Brandon Sanderson's new novel, Firefight, and enjoyed it immensely.  I'm working on Life Together by Dietrich Bonhoeffer and that has its ups and downs, but I think it's doing some good things in me.  Drew is reading the Heroes of Olympus series and diggin' it. The kids recently discovered The Book With No Pictures by B.J. Novak (also known as Ryan from The Office!) and, oh, the giggling! Currently trending on audio books at our place is American Tall Tales (the boys cannot get over Davy Crockett), Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, and some classic Dr. Seuss. 

In the blogging world, I'm not much of a reader or blogger these days. I was, however, very touched by Sarah Bessey's  A complicated peace (it was a relief to read because I felt it and didn't have to write it. Yep. Uh-huh. Amen.), inspired by the 2015 Reading Challenge,  and found myself crying quietly over Dear You Who Doesn't Want to Do That Hard Thing.  

In pregnancy news, I'm seven months, folks. I really savored the morning sickness and held on to that until week 24. And then, just so I could really suck all the marrow out of life, I started contractions around week 26. So that's...you know....awesome. But little guy is growing strong and will make his appearance in less than three months! Yikes. Sheesh. Oh my word. Here we go. 



I guess that's it. Not much to report other than that we're still here and winter is with us and grace abounds, thank goodness. 

Hope you and yours are warm and safe and a little bit silly. 

Later. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have a great looking family Becky. I'm sure Rachel told me at some point, but I didn't realize that you were expecting #5. Congratulations! Father brings you and your family to mind at randomly frequent times. I'm pretty sure that I'm not ready for a boy sleepover...I'm too used to girls and their play habits. I vote for every other year.--Josh

Teresa said...

Didn't I ever tell you about one of my students that I had my first year of teaching?

Her name was Strawberri.

Not kidding.